reasonable price on clutch replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parfox

Hi all,

I have gathered quotes from a number of local garages for the replacement of clutch and slave cylinder on my 1.7 puma. The best price i have been given so far is £300 all in. Would anyone out there with experience say that this is the best im likely to find?

Thanks!

Fraud want just over £450 just to supply and fit a new clutch so I'd say £300 for clutch and salve is good going- Slave's are about £70 ish and the clutch its self is like £100 ish. so £130 labour charge for the work invloved is good going

parfox said:
Hi all,

I have gathered quotes from a number of local garages for the replacement of clutch and slave cylinder on my 1.7 puma. The best price i have been given so far is £300 all in. Would anyone out there with experience say that this is the best im likely to find?

Thanks!

where is local?...not on your sig...

say you want the gearbox oil draining not just topping up....and also, make sure the driveshafts are not zip tied back up.... as the grease just oozes out and makes a right mess as it spins around like a muck spreader...lol..

:lol:

Chris

Thanks All,

Cardiff is local Chris, havent put together any sig just yet.

The price quoted is by my local Mr Clutch. All parts are new and covered by a 24 month or 20,000 mile warranty. I have been given a price of an additional £15 for a gearbox fluid change so will get that done too.

Il be sure to clarify its not re-manufactured and that the driveshafts arent zip tied.

Thanks again for your help

As far as i am aware Mr Clutch only use remanufactured clutches. Having said that though their service (and even the remanufactured clutches) have been spot on. Never had reason to complain. They really know what they are doing. Wish they still had a branch in Birmingham....

I realised after fitting my ST Clutch it is actually the re-manufactured one.... (altho supposed to be the new one lol)...

no issues with it at all... certainly wouldn't have known by looking at it...looked (and works) as a brand new unit..
:grin:

parfox said:
Thanks All,

Cardiff is local Chris, havent put together any sig just yet.

The price quoted is by my local Mr Clutch. All parts are new and covered by a 24 month or 20,000 mile warranty. I have been given a price of an additional £15 for a gearbox fluid change so will get that done too.

you may want to just get a couple of the boot straps from ford and hand them over as you drop the car off... saves hassle and you know you've got the proper part on there then... (there are a lot of cheap crap straps available) Finis 1040412 x 2 they're not expensive.. :)

The oil you want is 75-90 fully synth...

i use this one.. http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idcat=56&idProduct=107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the Puma garage list linked in my sig block and DO NOT put a recon clutch into a Puma = bad news, also make sure that the clutch release bearing is replaced at the same time as well

Thanks again all for this advice! i am very glad i came across this forum as issues such as the straps and clutch release bearing were never considered

:)

pumapilot said:
Look at the Puma garage list linked in my sig block and DO NOT put a recon clutch into a Puma = bad news,

lol...can you explain why not exactly...i'm having no issues with mine...

surely a re-manufact. clutch reuses steel casings and then rivited together with new friction wheels...and is tested/certified to work within specified tolarances..??

:idea:

el dude said:
can you explain why not exactly...i'm having no issues with mine...

Not personal experience Chris, but known of a few other failures - including an exploding gearbox/clutch on a race car, even they replace release bearing on a clutch change too - in around 10 minutes = gearbox out/clutch & bearing changed/gearbox back into car, saw a 90 minute complete engine change on a BTCC car in Thruxton paddock last year too.

pumapilot said:
g an exploding gearbox/clutch on a race car, even they replace release bearing on a clutch change too - in around 10 minutes = gearbox out/clutch & bearing changed/gearbox back into car, saw a 90 minute complete engine change on a BTCC car in Thruxton paddock last year too.

sounds like nothing to do with the fact the clutch was a re-factored one to me....

there are an endless amount of factors that could have resulted in this...
:idea:

Latest posts

Back