Recirculated air stuck on!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Evening everybody!

A couple of months ago I noticed that the recirculated air stopped working on my Puma. The light still came on when I pushed the button, but I no longer heard the distinctive 'clunk' as the valve moved and the increased volume of the fan. It didn't bother me too much, just meant that I would turn the fan off in traffic instead of pressing the button.

However, with the cold weather I've realised that the fan is stuck on the recirculated setting! This is really annoying, as the air inside the car is getting damp, and at best it means the windows are always steamed up, and at worse they actually freeze on the inside!

So what I need to know it, where exactly is the valve and the solenoid that I assume moves it? Once I've found them, how do I test the system? I should probably mention that the valve did work for a couple of days a few weeks ago, then went back to not working.

I've searched the forum a couple of times and couldn't find any answers, so if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers.
Huw

This thread seems to suggest the actuator/motor is tricky to get to and that someone has known it to go faulty.

I just had a quick read on some similar Fiesta issues and they suggest the same, it could be a dash out job to get to it, another suggestion I saw was to manually move the flap to stop the windows misting up. I was trying to see if I could find where that might be but it wasn't a 2 minute search apparently.

red said:
This thread seems to suggest the actuator/motor is tricky to get to and that someone has known it to go faulty.

I just had a quick read on some similar Fiesta issues and they suggest the same, it could be a dash out job to get to it, another suggestion I saw was to manually move the flap to stop the windows misting up. I was trying to see if I could find where that might be but it wasn't a 2 minute search apparently.

Thanks for having a look for me Red. This is bad news, I assume that taking the dash out is a lot of work?

I'm wondering if there are two flaps. One inside the cabin that is open when recirculated air is selected, closed otherwise, and one behind the pollen filter that is closed when recirculated air is selected and open otherwise. The 'clunk' noise that used to occur when the recirculated air was selected seemed to come from the passenger footwell. Maybe I should have a reach up behind there to see if I can feel where the air is being taken from, and explore behind the pollen filter as well.

Yes, for me taking the Dash out would be the last thing I'd want to have to do!

I'd definitely not be taking it out without knowing exactly where that part was and potentially have a replacement ready to re-install.

@huw I have the exact same problem, I have the replacement motor part from IanG (very cheap and very small part). Looking at the fitment i have had the said part for many months and haven't got round to it as it looks too daunting of a job! :p

Hopefully someone has a quick "hack" so only parts in that link had to be loosened to fit? If I am right the last step only shows the area but I cant see the actual part in question?

Van_Dammesque said:
@huw I have the exact same problem, I have the replacement motor part from IanG (very cheap and very small part). Looking at the fitment i have had the said part for many months and haven't got round to it as it looks too daunting of a job! :p

Hopefully someone has a quick "hack" so only parts in that link had to be loosened to fit? If I am right the last step only shows the area but I cant see the actual part in question?

I too was wondering if the whole dash would have to come off, or maybe if it could just be loosened. I suspect the former, sadly.

Latest posts

Back