restoring headlight lenses

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevecvo

The headlight lenses on my car look as if a surface coating is peeling off in places. It is as if the plastic had been coated with varnish which is now peeling. What is the best way to restore the lenses, please?

hmmmmm i have not seen this on the pumas I have came across.(might be someone had coated them with a layer of "something" to protect them from stone chips and the like.

If i remember correctly, Autoglym has got something which is used to polish up the lens (plastic). failing that I think you would need some abrasive polish to get the offending layer off.

You might be think of Meguirs Plastex Elvin. It sounds as though that's only going to have a minimal benefit if they really are that bad.

Would you be able to get some photos up so we can see how bad it is and go from there? It might be that you'll need to get something a bit more heavy duty on it, or bite the bullet and get some replacement lenses.

My FTO had the same problem...I used various grades of wet and dry up to 2000, then rubbing compound and some metallic t-cut. Worked a treat, but takes time.

mine is the same as this, it as if they have been lacquered and it flaking :-s....i tried gray gates plastic polish and there compound but made very little difference...try what jonsspencer_1981 has suggested when the weather improves and see what happens

cheers
sean

Back