Rotrex Supercharger Kit.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john gordon

Hi All,

Not had permission to do this however decided to post anyway because although it’s kind of a plug for a company there is no product to plug as yet.
A lot of people would love more power from the Puma and I think this is going to be the cheapest way of any of us seeing really good proven gains from the engine whilst retaining drivability, reliability and a decent fuel consumption figure.
Before I got my Puma I had a Peugeot 306 Rallye and was a member of one of the owner’s club forums. This is where I first heard of Lynx Engineering. I watched the birth of the Lynx Engineering Rotrex supercharger kit which is now very well developed and is gracing the engines of what must be nearly 30 Peugeot 306's which if you think about it is a hell of a lot of cars and a testament to the kit.
I think its best at this point I show you what I am talking about, please follow the link to their website and have a read about the kit in question.
http://www.lynxpowerengineering.co.uk/sc.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, I made a quick call today and I would need a minimum of 10 people with deposits for this kit to be designed and made for the Ford puma 1.7. If I recall correctly the prices for the Peugeot kit are on the lynx site. I would assume that other kits for other cars such as the Puma are going to cost around the same, you would have to be mind full that the kit does not include the supercharger. The prices are not bad at all when you consider the development of such a kit. I know that all in all it cost upwards of 20k to design/develop the kit for the Peugeot.
After quickly looking at some figures it would be the same deal on the ford 1.7 engine as it would on the Peugeot 2.0 engine. Stock engine would run low boost, then a low comp bottom end would be required for running high boost. This means that the kit it’s pretty much bolt on power, without having to mess around with the bottom end..... Unless you really want too
If you look at the power figures for the Peugeot and the gains that both the low boost and high boost variations of the kit produced, pound for BHP there is no cheaper way of tuning an engine.
If there are enough people interested then I will start making some proper enquires and see if this can become a reality.
John

It might put people off if it doesn't include the supercharger, or can they supply that too?

way out of my price range but good luck in finding the 10 people required. Looks like about £4k for the peugeot low boost kit and if that's for everything complete drive in drive out it's not too bad a price IMO

Just a thought, but would a kit for the Eaton charger (say, a 45?) not be a more suitable / affordable kit?

I know it's not as efficient as the Rotrex range but they're much cheaper to get hold of and the unit itself is nice and compact, could be ideal for the Puma.

If you're lucky you can pick the units up off eBay for £150 (last time I looked anyway) then you just need all the mounting gubbins and pulleys etc.

The Rotrex charger is about the size of an alternator. Its really tiny. Its a great little unit. There are other reasons why the Rotrex charger was used. Maintaining the Rotrex is cheaper too.

4k???...good luck finding 10 people. I'd be suprised if there's any Puma in the country (apart from FRP's) that's worth spending 4k on let alone anyone who's actually willing to spend that as then there's all the upgading needed to cope with the extra power to add on.

Just wish I'd bought that damn Turbo kit that was for sale for £300...dammit...lol

Thats what i was kinda hoping, that the FRP people would be interesed but it seems not. There is always going to be the odd mental person thats got a normal puma thats willing to shell out ££££ for more power (me for example)

god idea,but as mort says,frp owners would rather keep theres standard due to the rariety of the car,and if most normal puma owners have £4000 lying around in pretty sure they would rather spend it something else.....

I know what your saying about the FRP owners and thats EXACTLY why i thought this kit would be of interest. Its bolt on and bolt off.
It was a nice dream whilst it lased eh, hehe :wink:

Back