Rotten steering pipes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TylerB said:
[post]357939[/post] After weeks of searching I didn't manage to get a proper one so there was not much choice left for me. So in the end, I followed The Arch Bishop's advice and went for a new one. It took ages to get to my Ford dealer. Gave it a 2 coats of anti rust primer because it has zero rust protection. No wonder they rust so quickly. All good now! Will be fitting it next week.

tuonokid said:
[post]357293[/post]
I've thought for a long time that if you can take the whole of the pipes off and deliver them to a shop that makes pipes for plant (Site works machinery), you may be able to get something made up with better products such as braided lines and rust free pipes.

This should be the best option in the future as this part is rare and expensive, shouldn't be too hard, most important would be to make the connectors strong enough to resist the pressure. Other option would be to build over the complete system to have the looped model, which is far more common and easy to find. I'm not sure but I even think I already crossed a looped model in pvc on a fiesta, not sure though.

Did you get the unions / nuts for it too? Sadly, the new pip doesn't come with them, and they're a fortune!! £30 for the pair. Part numbers 6772172 (£11.88) and 6742740 (£17.93). Just fitted a new one when I had the engine rebuilt on my one - it's on the thread I've just posted this week.

It's a bitch to do I'm afraid, even with the engine our. Let us know how you get on!

BTW, the above is for the pipe 1127273 which you can still get from Ford, about £130..

Please feel free to delete this duplicate post mods, I've been cack handed!!

XAF,
To be honest I have no idea where that connector (6772172, 6742740) you just showed is located. I thought I could just bolt on the new pipes and job done? Are they the connectors to the steering pump for the 2nd pipe from above?

20161104_182834_zpshnvhq3u1.jpg

This is the part I got, and that's all I have.
I fear the above pipe is very badly rust too and will not survive for long. Hope I can connect it without breaking, because 130 pounds is like wow *_* . Looks like a sick job to replace that with the engine in, need to have a better look.
Been working on bodywork etc first, not focussed on the engine yet but it will go out soon. It's the puma from this project: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=29080

Ah, yours is a different pipe, and by the looks of it has the unions on. The pipe for my car came without the nuts to screw it into the rack at one end, and pump at the other. You had to buy them separate. I wasn't happy!!

When I looked at changing mine, I asked the local Pirtek branch and they quoted between £70 and £100 complete with next day delivery.

TylerB said:
[post]357945[/post] XAF,
To be honest I have no idea where that connector (6772172, 6742740) you just showed is located. I thought I could just bolt on the new pipes and job done? Are they the connectors to the steering pump for the 2nd pipe from above?

20161104_182834_zpshnvhq3u1.jpg

This is the part I got, and that's all I have.
I fear the above pipe is very badly rust too and will not survive for long. Hope I can connect it without breaking, because 130 pounds is like wow *_* . Looks like a sick job to replace that with the engine in, need to have a better look.
Been working on bodywork etc first, not focussed on the engine yet but it will go out soon. It's the puma from this project: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=29080

That's a different part of the system. .for cooling

XAF has the part which is usually changed

Pipe is 1127273
Union for Rack 6772172
Union for Pump 6742740

Latest posts

Back