Scratching noise when turning wheel.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodForbid

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before.

Today it has been raining heavily all day, and the roads are very greasy. I turned around a roundabout to find my back end fly out (What happened to the puma's handling!? :( ) and with a bit of luck - and opposite lock, I managed to get myself out of the drift and keep on the road. I wasn't going fast round the roundabout, it just felt like I was on ice.

Anyway, since this when I turn the steering wheel, in either direction, I get a scratching noise which sounds like it comes from the steering column, along with a sort of groaning noise from the front.

It's dark and wet, so I haven't been able to take a proper look at it yet, but to be honest, I probably wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway.

The power steering fluid is on the max level, and the fluid is a nice cherry red, so I don't think it's the fluid.

I'm really hoping I don't have a massive bill coming along, as I only bought the lovely puma 4 weeks ago :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=3605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

I don't think the noisy/scratchy steering wheel is related to the roundabout issue....

For the noise - see posts above. I had that on mine - went on it's own after a couple of days.

As to the roundabout... could have been patch of oil, could have been a few things. The back end of the Puma is pretty light and can be a bit skittish at the best of times, a lot depends on the tyre.
The Porsche/RWD cars in general are not the only ones that can have their ass end try and pass themselves.

I almost lost my rear end (oooh er!) a couple of times on roundabouts and narrowed it down to tyres as most likely culprit.
Changed them, and been fine since... much more controllable slightly sideways slippage....

:drive:

PS: speaking of which, saw a Boxster lose its ass end at a roundabout on the A43 today as I sailed happily passed round the other way. Luckily for them the roads weren't busy.

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll take the column off and look for any crud, but to be honest, it sounds like a mechanical scratching, if that makes any sense. Its really hard to explain what it sounds like, but it came on very suddenly (after the round about thing). The closest I can get to describing what it sounds like is metallic scratching and a hydraulic noise (different from the norm - wasn't present before).

It's really hard to explain but unfortunately for me it sounds more than just crud :( Along with a sort of knocking / groaning heard from the outside of the car (can't hear it on the inside)

As for the roundabout, I'm pretty sure it was just the heavy rain we've had, the roads seem very greasy. I have nice expensive Toyo tyres on there so they shouldn't be the problem hehe.

Thanks again for the help.

PS: Sorry, I did do a search before starting this thread, but didn't come across that one when I searched.

Yeah mate its sounds very familiar to the posts above... I developed it after I went for a drive in the Yorkshire dales...
took the column apart and just greased it up abit and gave it a squirt of cleaner :eek:k:

it does sound nasty but 9/10 times this is what itll be :)

GodForbid said:
Thanks a lot for the help. I'll take the column off and look for any crud, but to be honest, it sounds like a mechanical scratching, if that makes any sense. Its really hard to explain what it sounds like, but it came on very suddenly (after the round about thing). The closest I can get to describing what it sounds like is metallic scratching and a hydraulic noise (different from the norm - wasn't present before).

It's really hard to explain but unfortunately for me it sounds more than just crud :( Along with a sort of knocking / groaning heard from the outside of the car (can't hear it on the inside)

As for the roundabout, I'm pretty sure it was just the heavy rain we've had, the roads seem very greasy. I have nice expensive Toyo tyres on there so they shouldn't be the problem hehe.

Thanks again for the help.

PS: Sorry, I did do a search before starting this thread, but didn't come across that one when I searched.

Your description of the metallic scratching sounds just like the problem discussed - it sounds a lot worse than it is.... may well have been brought to the fore by the sudden flurry of action at roundabout, but is not a big issues.

May not be connected to any outside noise - that could be something else.

If tyres already ok... then seems were just approaching r/about too fast for wet conditions, or there was build up of grease/oil there...

Latest posts

Back