Should I change oil viscosity

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

So a while back I had my Puma engine rebuilt by some mechanic (who turned out to be one dodgy prat) and when it came to the oil selection I specifically told him to use Ford's Formula F 5w30 oil. He said that older Fords needed 10w40 and despite my insistence he used Mobil 1 10w40. I didn't notice any problem with the car but after that incident I changed the mechanic and now I want to change the oil again as well. I want to go back to Ford's 5w30. What's the procedure to change oil viscosity? And is it even advisable to change it now?

Ford recommends using 5W30 oil. Having said that, it allows the use of other grades of oil. I personally always use the recommendation No1 -> 5W-30 (Formula F, as it is rather cheap option).
Changing oil viscosity = changing oil :wink:

What kind of mechanic was he?

You really need to get that 10 40 out of your engine ASAP
replace it with the correct 5w30 A1/5 (Ford spec)

The vct is hydraulically operated and can be damaged running oil thats the wrong viscosity.
as can the oil pump. It will also not do the Nikasil any good.

Bad oil servicing drastically shortens the life of modern Ford engines

trublustu said:
[post]346363[/post] The vct is hydraulically operated and can be damaged running oil thats the wrong viscosity.
as can the oil pump.

^^Exactly that ^^ Get the correct stuff in there. At the very least the VCT might not work properly with the wrong viscosity oil, at the worst it might damage something.

Dal said:
[post]346365[/post]... the VCT...
chilipalmer seems to be running a 1.4, which doesn't have VCT.

@chilipalmer, yeah you really do need to change that oil. Just do an oil/oil filter change, making sure the engine is hot/warm before draining. Then refill with the correct oil and, for demonskull's benefit, the correct oil filter. :)

The original Ford specification for the Puma is Formula E SAE 5W-30.
Alternative engine oils with the viscosity SAE 5W-30 meeting the requirements of Ford Specification WSS-M2C913-A may also be used.
Engine oil top-up:
If you are unable to find an engine oil to any of these specifications, you must use an oil of the viscosity SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-40, or SAE 3W-40, according to ambient temperatures, meeting the requirements of either ACEA A1/B1 or ACEA A3/B3 specifications. Use of these oils may result in longer cranking periods, reduced engine performance and increased emission levels.

The Ford Formula F Specification (fully synthetic) meets WSS-M2C913-C, is backwards compatible with WSS-M2C913-B and WSS-M2C913-A, and therefore suitable for the Ford Puma.
Any make of oil which meets WSS-M2C913-C, should therefore be suitable.

Thanks chaps. So in conclusion, I don't need to use any products to wash away any vestiges of 10w40 oil left in the engine after I drain it, right?

Frank said:
[post]346366[/post] chilipalmer seems to be running a 1.4, which doesn't have VCT.
Ah, didn't see that as on phone..

No, no need to flush anything really.

In the Ford Puma TIS Workshop manual 5W30, 10W30, 5W40 and 10W40 are listed for the 1.7 and 1.4. 5W30 is the recommended but the others are valid alternatives. For the racing puma they are all listed as recommended.

I run 10W40 in my 1.7 race car with no problems at all.

https://www.championlubes.com/TDS/tds_65607_ch_nl_nl_20151130011108_lr.pdf
i guess this oil is not suited for the Puma 1.7 engine, or is it?

Back