side effects of an overheating engine?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Get Native

Hi all,

My temperature dial is broken, so i have no reading if the engine is overheating. Recently I have noticed on longer journeys that the air vents inside the car are putting out a lot of hot air without the heating system being on (tripled checked all the dials every time). Logic tells me that this might be a sign of the engine overheating (theres no burning smell from the engine or smoke) but im no mechanic....
has anybody encountered this problem? could it be a side effect of overheating?

thanks,

Get Native (newbie)

More likely a problem with your heater control valve or heater control panel. Heater control valve is a common problem, they cost about £50 from fords and there is a how to guide on the site on how to replace it.

The gauge by the clocks?

Could be a failed sensor plus the HCV or panel issue or it could be a blockage although from memory I can't remember the route.

HCV can be removed for diagnosis - if you take it off and put voltage across it, it should move the solenoid inside the chamber. Remove it when the car is cold to minimise pressure in the pipes and take the cap off the expansion tank to release pressure also.

If that is working fine I'd consider fitting a new panel but the valve is the more common failure.

No reading on the gauge can also indicate low coolant level.

thanks dude, at least i can stop sketching out about it, i might get in touch soon about a new set of clocks (dashboard thingy)

Latest posts

Back