Sluggish, Depressed Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_puma

Right Topic? IDK!

Puma feels sluggish, at first i thought it was the clutch because it was slipping, now i've had that done (and slave), it just the same?

Another puma was behind me on the dual carriage, and we had a little head to head :wink: hers was completely standard by the looks of it and sound, yet she ZOOOOOMED past me like i was a micra.

It's had a full service (Last week)
MOT (Last Week)
Cambelt kit (Last Week)...(Car ran the same before cam change)
Thermo (Last Week)
Clutch (Last Week)

I got a Pipercross Induction on it
Standard 15's
Ashley comp BACKBOX only

No major mods, but it feels reallyyy sluggish, i.e 3rd will top out at 45/50

Oh my left wheel squeaks too :p

Shot bearing increasing friction?

Also make sure the service was actually done, check you have clean oil and a clean air filter...

Edit: "clean air filter" - I guess you can ignore that and just make sure it is cleaned...

Edit: You could also try cleaning the MAF... That's an easy job... Once you've done it disconnect the battery for 10 minutes I think...

Edit: Are your tyres inflated correctly? There's gonna be a lot of edits here :/

When it's stood still does it rev freely?
Does it feel sluggish in all gears?
Have you got the car up on a jack and tried to turn each wheel to see if it is sticking, there is any notchiness or any movement to suggest worn bearings/suspension.

The answers to these questions should help determine whether it's engine related or a binding problem as the other posters have intimated.

Other things to consider/check....
1. Did the garage who did the servicing notice anything unusual regarding the condition of the spark plugs, leads, coil or anything else? And indeed were these changed in the service and if so, were the correct ones refitted and are the plug gaps set correctly. The fact that it's still sluggish could point to something totally unrelated causing the problem as I'm sure if it was running that bad they would have picked something up and investigated (you would think) but I'm not 100% as to what checks are in the scope of a service.
2. Are all pipes in the engine bay fitted tightly with no leaks.
3. Are all electrical connectors in the engine bay correctly seated.
4. Check how clean the MAF elements are as already suggested and clean if required.

That's enough to keep you going. Hopefully you may stumble across the problem while tinkering.

Puma Babe said:
is the exhaust leaking at any point in the system?

Mine is blowing and it feels very sluggish

I just had a new mid section (standard) and backbox (ashley competition) fitted like a week ago,
but when i had my MOT, they said there was a "Minor" leak from the mid section, I ask'd if it needed work, and they said it should be fine as it is only minor. But saying that, when i was at work today i noticed a blowy sound coming from the exhaust, would a leak cause power loss? :roll:

Thanks for replying

yippeekiay said:
When it's stood still does it rev freely?
Does it feel sluggish in all gears?
Have you got the car up on a jack and tried to turn each wheel to see if it is sticking, there is any notchiness or any movement to suggest worn bearings/suspension.

The answers to these questions should help determine whether it's engine related or a binding problem as the other posters have intimated.

Other things to consider/check....
1. Did the garage who did the servicing notice anything unusual regarding the condition of the spark plugs, leads, coil or anything else? And indeed were these changed in the service and if so, were the correct ones refitted and are the plug gaps set correctly. The fact that it's still sluggish could point to something totally unrelated causing the problem as I'm sure if it was running that bad they would have picked something up and investigated (you would think) but I'm not 100% as to what checks are in the scope of a service.
2. Are all pipes in the engine bay fitted tightly with no leaks.
3. Are all electrical connectors in the engine bay correctly seated.
4. Check how clean the MAF elements are as already suggested and clean if required.

That's enough to keep you going. Hopefully you may stumble across the problem while tinkering.

It revs freely, feels sluggish in all gears 2nd too would you believe, and i havn't had it up on jacks to check the wheel bearings nothicng etc, but when i took it to the garage for service, i told them about the squeaky wheel, when i picked the car back up from them, the squeak had gone (week later....it's back) i'm gonna change the brake discs and pads, see what that does (squeaks when braking too)

As for the rest of all that, I'll have to have a gander when i'm off work.

Thanks for that mate.

danielz000 said:
Shot bearing increasing friction?

Also make sure the service was actually done, check you have clean oil and a clean air filter...

Edit: "clean air filter" - I guess you can ignore that and just make sure it is cleaned...

Edit: You could also try cleaning the MAF... That's an easy job... Once you've done it disconnect the battery for 10 minutes I think...

Edit: Are your tyres inflated correctly? There's gonna be a lot of edits here :/

LOL edit edit edit...

I'm pretty sure they did the service, as they fucked me about before with regards to keeping parts off my cars that i needed back, even after telling them i wanted em (but me being forgetfull..i always leave without them lol), now they're like yes sir no sir, cuppa tea sir...three bags of sugar si...wait :roll:

Oil has been changed, plugs, they noticed the thermostat was buggered whilst doing service, so i would say they did it.

I'll clean the MAF when i'm free, first thing i'll do...How would i clean it, and what with?

Tyre pressure...hmm, they're not underflated or overflated...but then again i don'y know the correct pressure lol, i'll have to look into that!

Thanks for replyingggg...

Did you get to the bottom of this in the end? I have the same situation - new clutch, cleaned MAF, recent major service, sad Puma.

evilrob said:
Did you get to the bottom of this in the end? I have the same situation - new clutch, cleaned MAF, recent major service, sad Puma.

Hey, I havn't really looked into it cus this puma is costing me wayyy to much money lol.

But I think it to be the pipercross induction kit I have on it? When I'm going at 30mph (example), i'm in 3rd gear and put my foot to the floor all i get is all noise coming from the induction, the needle stays on 30 for like 5 seconds and then SLOWLY starts building up.

I did have a leak from my exhaust at the joint, I fixed this with exhaust putty, (doubt this would have caused lack of power anyway) but still the same.

If you have an induction kit on it, try putting the standard air box on...I'd put mine back on but I kinda hacked it getting it out lol :|

There's all sorts wrong with my puma, so I can't really pinpoint what's causing it mate.

I too reckon it could be the aftermarket Induction Kit, i have heard different stories about them causing more trouble than better. By what you say, its like to hit a flat point when putting your foot down in mentioned gears and what you have had done in means of Servicing etc. I would suggest cleaning the MAF with like a Carb cleaner.. But i would think it is your Induction Kit thats causing your problems..

Just one thing as the Fuel Filter been replaced?

When I'm going at 30mph (example), i'm in 3rd gear and put my foot to the floor all i get is all noise coming from the induction, the needle stays on 30 for like 5 seconds and then SLOWLY starts building up.

when you say its reving,but nothing is happening,does the engine just rev before anything happens,if it does then it needs a new clutch

martinthrapston said:
when you say its reving, but nothing is happening, does the engine just rev before anything happens, if it does then it needs a new clutch

It won't be the clutch, as I've just had it replaced a month or so ago.

The Arch Bishop said:
Is the VCT solenoid working properly? Maybe the cam is stuck in one or other position and not switching?

How would I know if it's the solenoid? is there any way of testing it without stripping the engine?

Leopold said:
Just one thing as the Fuel Filter been replaced?

I'm not sure whether they did it when i had a service, but i'll look into that, thanks

I used to have an old Daewoo ( I know, the shame... :shock: It was only for going to work and back and transporting the dogs in..) and the cat broke up in it, filling the rest of the exhaust with bits of catalytic converter and that gave exactly the same effect, foot down and no response at all... might be worth a look....

The Arch Bishop said:
Is the VCT solenoid working properly? Maybe the cam is stuck in one or other position and not switching?
How would I know if it's the solenoid? is there any way of testing it without stripping the engine?

Google is your friend! :grin: - Some info here (for Focus but imagine the solenoids are all pretty similar) - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98587

My Fiesta (1.7 Puma ZS engine) has been doing similar things...turned out to be the backbox rotting inside which caused the baffling to collapse and clog up the exhaust system. I know yours is new but check it anyway.

Disconnect your lambda sensor ( one by one if you have 2 ) and go for a drive.
My car has been doing a similar thing, so i disconnected the lambda and now it flies. Got another Lambda on the way now.

Worth a try. :)

Mine felt really sluggish yesterday had a quick look and found the throttle cable had come unclipped from the slam panel another thing worth checking

pixiespuma said:
Disconnect your lambda sensor ( one by one if you have 2 ) and go for a drive.
My car has been doing a similar thing, so i disconnected the lambda and now it flies. Got another Lambda on the way now.

Worth a try. :)

Had both lambdas changed today...and all my problems regarding sluggish-ness are RESOLVED...it f**ckin suprised me how a sensor (two) makes a difference.

Thanks for your help :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back