Some help with touch up paint

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

I have put on two base coats of oem ford panther black on the scratching/keying down the sides of my car. It's an improvement but kind of looks like theres a smudge down the side of the car, I know you can't get perfect results but I want to improve it. Ihave yet to add the clear coat, I was planning to go over it with really fine sand paper and add a third coat to try to smooth it out a bit before the clear coating, and then polish it, is this a good idea/how you do it?

Is there a better way that doesen't take too much time/skill?

Cheers,
Tekz

Edit. Just thought I'd add a quick unrelated request to the end of this, can someone find me a suitable clamp on the eurocarparts website for the rear silencer, I'm swapping it over and a guide on the net say's you should never use the old clamp but I don't know what I'm looking for.

On the last request, buy a C clamps that fits.... go to Halfarce or a motor factors.... Can't tell you what size as I dont know what size piping you have on your exhaust. Measure and go buy.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15740&p=213253#p213253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please click on the above for info on the exhaust, including pics.

In my experience there really is no way of getting a good touch up paint finish that doesn't require skill or time...or both!
Sorry

The best way to deal with keying (post up pics if you can) and takes time. It requires a delicate touch and patience.

1.Really T-Cut the keyed area well.
2. Mask off the area to be painted to the edge of the scratch (allow the tiniest bit of lacquer to be seen)
3. Apply a 5 light coats of base ( 5 min dry off ) and T-Cut lightly
4. After an hour repeat step 3
5. After another hour a very light application of base with some ladies tights rolled up into a ball, believe it or not (be sure to remove lady first :-D ) .
6. After another hour and using some more tights, apply lacquer , 3 very light coats 10 mins apart. the lacquer should be evenly applied and slightly proud of the existing laquer but not the masking tape.
7. Wait 12+ hours
8. Using 1200 wetordry sand paper and water with a lot of washing up liquid, sand the key mark in the direction of the mark, never across it. Now and again clear the water and you'll see the laquer dull and become the same level as the existing laquer. Do not go beyond it!
9. T-Cut Again
10. Remove masking tape and T-Cut again lightly and then a coat of wax.

Do not attempt if unsure of abilities!

I just use touch up pen then wet and dry and rubbing compound to blend in. Works well on small scratches :eek:k:

ok, just a thought, a little tip I did to patch up very small areas like stone chips on my last car(not a puma) use your touch up pen then rather than wet/dry you can get some really great nail buffers!!!! ok lads you will need to ask your ladies about these (or maybee not :wink: ) but they usally come as a block with 2 or 3 grades and a buffer(polisher), remove the corners first with a stanley knife (don't want extra scratches and they can be a bit sharpe on the corners ) then gently work your way down the finner grades (avoid the roughest), finish with the buffer and a good coat of wax over the top, wish I had photos but will be doing this on my OKK project so will add some picks when done, just an idea

Back