Speaker Sizes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighatrist

Looking to uprate the speakers (F & R) in my Millie. Popped into my local bass junkies and they recommended 5x7's as these would just bolt straight in. Looking at the speaker in the front door though, it dont look oval shaped as a 5x7 should. Just wondering if the millie had some kind of uprated speakers to other Pumas.

Also the size of speakers would be most appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

See this thread:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

read, taken in, and pretty good info. However. . . . . I've looked through the speaker grilles and they seem pretty round to me. I'm presuming they are 5.25" but without taking things apart, i'm not too sure on sizes. As said in original post, did the millie have any changes/upgrades to the I.C.E. setup speaker wise?

Millies don't have uprated speakers. The front speakers are round as you state and the rear ones are 5x7 as all Pumas have.

Thought as much :) Looks like i can go into the same shop, tell them they are full of s*#te and get me some decent speakers :)

How much work would it take to convert the 5x7 to 6.5" just out of interest

Not much if you search the bay of "E" for something similar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x7-5-25-Ford-Speaker-Rings-Plates-Fitting-Adaptor-/350255759381?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518cdec015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SkyHighatrist said:
Thought as much :) Looks like i can go into the same shop, tell them they are full of s*#te and get me some decent speakers :)

Instead of going the E-bay route I would STRONGLY recommend to make your own adapters of MDF. They will be much stronger, the sound will be better 'cos thez won't vibrate as much and you'll have a chance to learn something :cool:

SkyHighatrist said:

either fit the pioneer 5x7's (nice and easy) in the rear or mod the box to accomdate 6x9's...

Iv'e got some spare pods and speakers if you want any making up..just pm me..

:cool:

Rgds

Chris

Cheers Chris.

I'm just debating the need for 6x9's if I'm uprating the rear speakers. To be honest I think I'm wasting money, but obvs, other opinions always welcome :)

I've got Boston Acoustics S95's in heavily dynamatted rear bins courtesy of Chris - for the money they sound amazing. The straight swap is the 5x7, but you have a much lower choice of speakers in this size.

SkyHighatrist said:
Cheers Chris.

I'm just debating the need for 6x9's if I'm uprating the rear speakers. To be honest I think I'm wasting money,

I'd leave them then... The standard system sounds 'ok' and it takes a fair amount of work (and money) to get it significantly better....

Personally i think it's worth it tho.. :cool: :cool:

I'm running Genny P4 amps and boston acoustics in both my cars now.. :twisted:

Got these through this morning
HPIM3078.jpg

And inside

HPIM3079.jpg

Nice cheep n cheerful :)

As per thread title, the original mounting depth of standard speakers in the front doors is 54mm

Back