Speed limits - possible revision - UPWARDS!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

The Department of Transport is to launch a consultation on increasing the speed limit on Britain's motorways from 70mph to 80mph.

It is understood that it is intended to introduce the change from 2013.

:grin:

Is this a recurring rumour like a new Ford Puma or is there light at the end of the tunnel this time.

I'm quite happy doing 70 or less 99.9% of the time (65 suits me nowadays) but sometimes being able to do 80 without worrying about snipers with speed cameras would be a benefit when on long journeys. Fact is, when I'm doing 70 I'm quite often the slowest car on the road barring older grandpa's....lol.

I do a fair amount of long distance travel in the Jagdeo. I normally set the cruise at about 82, the chance to set it at 92 will make a small, but still significant difference to my journey time.

More importantly, it opens up the differential to the HGV traffic

It won't happen. I may be a cynic or a bit jaded, but in my experience a story like this usually surfaces when the powers that be want to take focus away from some other nasty proposal they have in the pipeline.

I saw this on tv this morning, and they were saying it was something to do with a parties promise for the next election, and it was also mentioned if they want the votes they should promise to half petrol prices!

yippeekiay said:
I'm quite happy doing 70 or less 99.9% of the time (65 suits me nowadays) but sometimes being able to do 80 without worrying about snipers with speed cameras would be a benefit when on long journeys. Fact is, when I'm doing 70 I'm quite often the slowest car on the road barring older grandpa's....lol.

agree

if you want to arrive 10 minutes earlier, then leave 10 minutes earlier!

(I accept that my view is not typical as I do not make many long journeys)

My thought is that if the speed limit is set at 80 (which would suit me) then it should be rigorously enforced to catch those people who automatically add another 10mph onto what ever limit is set.

dont make no difference to me while im in the works van as it can only do 68mph but for the omega it will be better as i get more mpg at 80 than sitting at 70

I drove to derby yesterday at 80, and used 3/4 tank, drove back this morning at 65, used half a tank!

I think it will depend on what car you have- turbo cars will use more fuel as they will be on boost so to speak and useing alot more fuel, were as a na car could sue less fuel- and a tdi would use even less.

I think

yep we did 800 miles in a TDci last week, 53mpg, doing 80, upto blackpool. My car is currently sitting on 29mpg!

Assuming there is no other traffic at all and all the variables remain the same you will get better mpg at 70 than 80. However you are comparing different times of day etc. so there will be variables (e.g. wind), plus you are not allowing for smoothness of flow, which may have happened to be better at 80 than 70 due to the speed other drivers are doing.

Latest posts

Back