Formula 1 New 2011 rules & 2013 1.6 Engines!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
The controversial ban on team orders has been deleted from the Formula 1 rulebook in the latest set of changes.

The rule, which forbids teams telling a driver to cede to his team-mate, came under scrutiny after Ferrari were fined for using team orders in 2010.

The adoption of moveable rear wings to aid overtaking were also confirmed in the new FIA rules for 2011 while the Kers power-boost system also returns.

The governing body also confirmed a new 'green' engine for the 2013 season.

In its new regulations, the FIA aims to improve sustainability by using 'green' engines in two seasons' time.

These powerunits will be four-cylinder, 1.6 litre turbos with energy recovery systems and fuel restrictions, with the aim of increasing efficiency by 35%

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013
  • 1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s
    Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 35%
    Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp
    Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable
    Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity
    Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years
    Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9275796.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise Ferrari wangled the team orders one then..

team orders are just team tatics, cant see anything wrong with that.

Wish they would add something to make it more interesting, maybe a two heat race with a reversed grid.

Sorry Vix's I disagree

Team orders are not fair to the fans- there fair to the teams for them to stack the season in there Advantage

Team A has 1 great driver and one not so great driver, Team order not not so great driver to take out nearest rivel.

Team B has 2 great drivers who are doing well- Team allows driver to race as they wish.

I'd support team B anyday.

Worst F1 Rule makers descion ever :(

Can't ya tell Ferria are in the drivers seat at the FIA

Just not realistic Scotty, it has always been part of Formula 1 and it makes good business sense.

I don't want to argue - I am not saying I condone it, just that I can see where they're coming from.

Red Bull and Mclearn managed it- just about- this season?

I know were your coming from and as a team yes its great, but as a fan we want to see these guys pushing as far as they can.

I'm sure it'll be ok, just not my sort of thing

EDIT- and any way i can't win in a argument against you can I

No-one can, Scotty, no-one can ;)

I don't believe any team has no team orders in the strictest sense. Red Bull certainly weren't a good example ;)

Hopefully bringing the budget down will help people like Kovaleinen, who have talent but little sponsorship.

crystalpuma said:
No-one can, Scotty, no-one can ;)

I don't believe any team has no team orders in the strictest sense. Red Bull certainly weren't a good example ;)

Hopefully bringing the budget down will help people like Kovaleinen, who have talent but little sponsorship.
Lots of talented drivers over the years that were ground into the dirt via team orders and politics.
Such a shame.
Expect lots of fans to vote with their feet.
Could be worse, could have 2 teams fighting over naming rights, playing petty mind games.. oh! wait...!!

1.6 engines with turbos pushing 750HP! guess we will see alot of engines going pop during that season then :p

In the "Turbo Era" of F1, they used 1.5 litre turbocharged engines, putting out around 1000BHP, which went like stink when they worked, and looked spectacular when they let go.

I remember seeing an odd looking piece of equipment in a garage at Silverstone, it looked like a broom handle, with a leather filled bag of sand on the end, it was used to be put up the exhaust pipes of turbo cars, to stop air feeding back through to the engine, causing anything from a major fire to engine detonation

Just heard Brundlefly and Coulturd are new duo. Seriously 2 drivers??
("I remember crashing heavily there, Martin". "Yes David, I also broke my finger in seventeen places there in '89") ?????
..... Jeez!!!

yep, those were the days ...1000 odd bhp from a 1.5 4 pot!!! legend has it that bmw used to used USED 200k mile blocks from old road cars in their f1 engines as a ll the heat cycles and use meant the metal had been thoroughly de-stressed! and consequently they could screw more power out of them!!! also heard they used to leave them outside to rust before re-machining them to f1 spec!

i dont mind the team orders....car racing didnt start for the fans!!! its all about competition....the fans came later.
its a race, its a competition...if they do what the fans want then one year itd be bumper cars the next itd be a drag race...

Jack all true about BMW- they even had people urm Wii on them to further weather and enhence them cough

Wonder if those 'small' 1.6 turbos can be fitted transversely???

Slap in the face for the French!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13012011/58/renault-ditch-french-connections.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Renault Formula One team slapped a silencer on the French national anthem on Thursday after announcing they will race under a British licence this season.

With no active French F1 drivers, and no French grand prix since 2008, Renault were the last ones flying the flag for a country whose heritage and language permeates the sport from chassis to grand prix and on to parc ferme.

Just to put things into perspective - This video shows the speed difference between FIA GT cars (Aston Martins, Corvettes, Lamborghinis, Maseratis etc) and an F1 car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw[/youtube]

:shock:

Latest posts

Back