SRS removal?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveyca55

Have just bought myself another silver puma, this time it's a 1.7, for a measley sum to turn into a track day/road car to replace my slowly dying, oil burning 1.4.
Have found some nice bucket seats and steering wheel but fitting both will put the air bag light on (removing pre-tensioners and air bag on the old steering wheel).
My question is, how do i get the airbag light to remain off for mot purposes?
Should i just remove the srs system completely?
Any help much appreciated

If you can get connected to the Ford type computer then you might be able to turn it off. But it needs to light, then go out to pass the MOT. If you change the steering wheel from the airbag fitted one that it came with, then it'll fail the MOT anyway according to the new MOT rules:

Reason for Rejection
1.An airbag obviously missing or defective.
2.A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:
inoperative
indicating a system malfunction.

See section 5.4 of:

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special%20notices/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless you know a dodgy MOT tester of course.

And I would say it should class as obviously missing since there's a panel visible from the outside showing the number of fitted airbags.

Dal said:
Reason for Rejection
1.An airbag obviously missing or defective.
2.A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:
inoperative indicating a system malfunction.

depends if you take it literally for the wording written.

"obviously missing" isnt the same as properly removed. Eg a puma wheel with airbag not fitted, the airbag is "obviously missing".

also if the entire SRS system is removed including pretensioners, wiring and module then the "if its not fitted it cant be tested" principal would also apply.

Various organisations have already sought clarification from DVLA which said that cars obviously converted for track use and motorsport cars would be fine.

Ultimately if they start clamping down and get anal on modified cars then just present it for IVA testing as the IVA test standards bypass all euro type approval bollocks and are based on minimum safe standards under construction and use regulations. Airbag and SRS sytems are banned under IVA.

How is 'missing' different to 'properly removed'? It's still not there when it was fitted at the factory.

As you say, it depends how far the testers are to evoke the new rules. All we can do is state the rules as we see them and how the appropriate authorities report them..

I think those MOT guidelines are terrible.

The official guidance says that if you present a rally car which is clearly prepared to rally standards, it will pass.

So if you remove the airbag from an otherwise standard car, it will fail. If you continue modifying it and introduce more reasons to reject, at some point it becomes a pass.

I do agree with Warren though, a standard steering wheel with the airbag removed is obviously missing. Change that to a proper track style wheel and its no longer missing because its not supposed to be there.

Regarding the original question, the light wouldn't need illuminate if the system is removed, by that I mean airbags, belt tensioners, the control box and also the light on the dash. I would think you'd get away with leaving the loom in. Also there's no requirement for the VIN badge to remain on your dash so it wouldn't be clear to a tester how many bags were OE unless they looked it up which I'm not sure they would be allowed to do.

Dal the line i qouted came from the guy who MoT's my car, and he wont let it pass if it breaks the rules or can be interpreted to breaking the mot rules.

Same things happen with cars with defective rear seatbelts. its perfectly legal to whip out the rear seats (often only a few screws on modern cars) and remove seatbelts so it passes.

The MoT rules have always been deliberately vague in some areas because they are in effect based on minimum safety standards in key areas based on construction and use regulations in essence.

most modern shite like ABS, SRS, TC etc isnt required by law and is only required under EC type approvals.

its only now that they are trying to meddle with the MoT to bring in checks on certain items still complying with EC type approval. However the process is already running 6 months late on the new areas introduced due to problems administering it. Hence technically an defective airbag is currently an advisory until they enforce the law.

VOSA just dont have a suitable database to back up the proposed changes the EU want, nor would they be able to make a database as much of the data just isnt available.

By the sounds of this, think it might get a 70 pound guaranteed pass MOT next year ;).
Will pop in to the place i usually use and have a chat with them about whether it's gonna pass or not.
May just have to find a way to make the srs light work but throw all the airbag module and loom in the bin.

if its a properly stripped out track car then as ian says youll be fine as VOSA have said so. The only grey area is road only cars with aftermarket wheels but thats down to interpretation.

To throw another spanner in the works, there is no definition of a trackday or motorsport prepared car! only certain forms of motorsport require MSA logbooks so they cant use that as a definition.

Many people could argue a car with engine mods, light wheels, grippy steering wheel and harness' on an otherwise standard interior car is a perfect road/track car but still comfortable for the road....

yet some might argue its only a track car if its caged, and stripped to within an inch of its life!

So in reality you should only have a problem with an arsehole or pedantic or paranoid MoT guy.

I should be ok then, they passed my old fiesta and that was rotten in all the bad places!
Am planning on putting in 4 point harness, bucket seats, bolt in roll cage and, of course, the steering wheel.
Will go and chat with the mot man at the place i use in the next few days to see what he says.
Thanks for all the help/input everyone!
Will try and put a project thread up when i get the car tomorrow :)

Latest posts

Back