ST150 Brakes on Puma - Best pads?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzman

Got ST150 brakes fitted to my track day Puma, fitting some MTEC grooved discs, any thoughts on brake pads to compliment these?

I found the standard pads pretty good on the track, but recently upgraded to Mintex 1144's, couldn't justify the cost of Ferrodo DS2500. Impressed with the 1144's but haven't given them a proper hammering yet.

I had yellowstuff..terrible..chewed the disks up..faded in no time.
I now have standard pagid pads..not brilliant..surprisingly takes time to warm up,which isn't good for a standard pad..but when they are warm,they are ok

I run this setup and don't know about M1144's but I have DS2500 and you can easily tell the standard later servo/master cylinder just isn't up to the job and they have waaaayyy more potential, basically I've hammered them on 4/5 track days and they hardly looked used!!

I'm having the same problem with my bigger ST170 brakes, you mention the servo on later Pumas Mr Fox? Is the earlier one different?

I was going to upgrade to 4 pots but I'm thinking it's just the servo.

Yes, earlier black puma MC has proven to be stronger than the later 2000+ silver versions due to more pressure needed with the smaller 239mm discs before the change to 259mm, the same problem exists though with swapping to a Mondeo MC whereas both pipes come out the wrong side, it is possible to bend them but its not necessary safe and generally not recommended.

So is the problem with the master cylinder or the servo do you think?

I know Errol has gone to a mk3 Monroe servo and says his pedal feel is like that of a new car. However I don't have that space because of my exhaust route!

With the master cylinder not the servo. Yea the mk3 (one I've got) is a bit of a monster, if your battery wasn't relocated it wouldn't fit normally anyeay unless the tray is hacked

Latest posts

Back