Steel Blue track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a start today on swapping the track rod ends for my new Compbrake ones. Here are a couple of pics showing the difference between old and new!

Lovin the mods - oh for a double garage! :clap:

Quick Q - where did you end up putting the spacer / track rod end in order to minimise bump steer over full suspension travel ?

Last Q - how do you mount the front bumper to the car now the internals have gone ?

Hi Ziggy, I haven't actually got the track rod end fitted yet. The standard one tapers where it goes through the hub, the Compbrake one doesn't so it doesn't fit the standard hub. I need to. Speak to them to see what they intended as it's meant to be a direct replacement. Will update when I know. Anyway bump steer isn't much of a concern on a track only car. Won't be used on road.

Re. The bumpers, plan is to go with bonnet pins around the bumper for quick release lightness!

Nice to see some updates Scott :). I believe you are meant to drill out the knuckles to remove the tamper when fitting the compbrake track rod ends.

Yes, I spoke to Compbrake and that's the plan now. Just need more time to get in the garage. I haven't fitted the rear disc conversion I got from you yet!

IMHO Bump steer is probably more important on track car than a road car. Get it too far wrong and the car will feel and handle poorly and result in poor track performance.

All suspension needs to travel, even on track!

Why not make a cheap bump steer gauge with with dial gauge indicator and measure it with / without the spacer / above and below the knuckle / with and with out small washers instead of the spacer.

Thanks Ziggy. That's interesting. To be honest most of what say is beyond my capability I suspect! When it's back on the road it's all going to be set up by Bubble & Kick, who do track car prep and really know their stuff. I'll definitely mention this to them and see what they suggest.

Latest posts

Back