Steering on the Milly much lighter than on the old Puma?...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xCharlottex

Had the Milly for almost 2 months now and the steering is MUCH lighter than my old standard 1.7 Puma. At times I've even thought "Jesus, is this even connected to the wheels?!" lol.
I made sure the tyres are all inflated to the same pressure as the old one but it made no difference at all. (Yes the power steering worked on the old one =P) Not sure if the old Puma was "wrong" or the new one is "wrong"? But the feel is VERY different... can the make of tyre make THAT much difference? Had Toyo T1Rs on the old Puma and the new one has various different makes that it came with.
I know the tracking does need doing (she loves the left!) and is on my "to do" list but even that can't make that much difference to the light steering.. can it? :|

Tyres can make a good difference.
I bought cheap tyres for the Fiesta I used to have which didn't have any power steering. The steering was heavy and difficult to get on to full lock.
After buying more expensive tyres (and a different brand) the steering was nice and light.. as if I had power steering!

Perhaps the topmount bearings are in better condition on the Milly and thats making a difference?

Or maybe the steering knuckle was worn on your earlier car

or as you say might be the tracking

on KAT2 my steering feels very twitchy in comparison to KAT1. (noticed it most on the Motorway driving)

Backend feels like it wants to swap ends when I go round a corner at speed - KAT1 stuck to the road like shit to a blanket!!

:?

Back