Strange clicking noise when turning steering

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathy

Hey,

So i've recently replaced pretty much all the suspension components on my 02 1.7 and now when i turn the steering in either direction there is a soft steady clicking noise coming from the suspension either side. It's not too loud and about 2 clicks per second as you turn the wheel.

Bits replaced (all with original Ford parts)

Shocks
Springs (with Ford/Eibach pro kit)
All bushes + lower arms
ARB drop links
Top mounts
Damper bit above top mounts

I've had 2 garages look at it and first one had no idea, second one thought it was the top mounts so had them replaced again but it's exactly the same so they stripped it all down and put it all back together again but still the same.

HOWEVER, after it had been stripped down both times the noise did go away for a very short time but it seems that after it's been driven a few miles and the suspension has "settled" the noise comes back.

It handles and drives/rides absolutely fine with no issues at all other than the clicking noise and after 2 strip downs rebuilds i'm pretty sure it's been put back together right.

I'm guessing it makes the noise at any speed but it's only when you're maneuvering at low speed you can hear it.

Any ideas what is causing it?

CV joints and wheel bearings already checked and ruled out btw.

Is it worth replacing the track rods and ends to rule them out? It's also got a bit of free play in the steering and considering that i've replaced everything else i guess it's them that are causing this slight free play?

TBH as it's not really having any detrimental effect on how the car drives and you can only hear it when you're parking it's not a massive issue but it would be nice to what is causing it!

Edit - I also had Fiesta ST150 front calipers and new 280mm Mintex discs/pads put on when all the suspension work was done. It all seems to fit with no catching anywhere but thought i'd put it out there in case it could have any bearing on the clicking issue!

Cheers :)

Maybe something catching on the the steering joint at end of column? could be something small slightly displaced during all the work.
Are drop links correctly refitted and tight? both ends?.
Does not sound anything too sreious and unless you can feel the clicking I would not worry too much.

Sure somebody will have other suggestions

Are the discs slotted? As mine used to do this, turned out it was a tiny metal guard on the bottom ball joint touching my slotted discs, easy fix, just removed them

Is the speed of the clicking relevant to the speed you turn the steering wheel?

Cheers guys, drop links are correctly fitted, been taken off and refitted to make sure, will check for anything catching the discs....

Speed of clicking is related to turning the steering wheel, as soon as you stop turning it the noise stops. If you hold it on any amount of lock either way and drive there is no clicking, only when actually turning the steering wheel.

Wish it was but it's not the clock spring, noise is def from suspension/wheel area, not steering wheel....

Sorted.

It was the N/S ARB Drop Link - cross-threaded and over tightened.

Big FAIL all-round to -

JPS Motorsport who fitted it incorrectly originally and then failed to notice this after I took it back 3 times, assuring me everything was A-OK.

Bosch Car Servicing MK - Assured me it was the top mounts and said they'd checked/stripped all the suspension down when changing them and then done it again when that did not fix the problem. Utter bollocks.

Allen Ford Northampton - Didn't notice it and said the chassis was twisted/bent. Clueless chumps.

Big well done to -

Superior cars Northampton - Diagnosed the fault first time in 30 minutes, fantastic service.

Latest posts

Back