Strange exhaust sound...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1

Hi all,

I notice that the exhaust pipe on my Puma is very rusty. I have recently been hearing some strange 'growling' noises coming from the exhaust. Could this be due to all the rust? If so how much would it could to have a new exhaust fitted?

Thanks

Mark.

If your exhaust is rusting on the pipe, that may be just surface corrosion. If your box is rusting, then it might be breaking through some of the baffles from the inside - out.

If it's "Growling", then I'd suggest the baffles are going a bit as that's how Cherie's Millie was sounding until she had a new exhaust on.

A Ford back box (if that's all you need) is about £95 from Ford or £135ish fitted at a Ford Rapid Fit place. About £200 for the whole Ford Cat back supplied and fitted.

A Stainless steel one will cost you about £280 upwards plus fitting.

Thanks for the quick reply, Dal :)

Wow, I didn't realise it was going to cost that much! But if it needs to be done, then I will just have to get it done, as it doesn't sound very good!

Cheers.

Mark.

Or... You could go for a cheapo back box exhaust like a Timax which will cost you about £70 - £80 but rust up faster than you can look at it. (If Cherie's last one was anything to go by)

You might be able to just get the back box from Ford and fit it yourself if you're handy with a spanner?

Hmm I am really no good with fitting things! I don't even know how to jack the car up :funny: lol.

OK the car is now booked in with the garage who will have a look at replace what needs be :)

Thanks.

not hard mate. Seriously, im not mechanically minded at all. Just jack up the car, have a look how its hangs, and then attempted it. Its just 2 bolts. And hangs in about 2 or 3 places normally. Thats it. Seems hard but if you take a look for yourself all will become clear.

edit: you'll be able to pick up a second hand system pretty cheap too!

hi, let us no how you get on and how much you end up paying to, could be help full to everyone.
thanks

Dont pay someone to fit the cat back, its so ridiculously easy. Getting the car up in the air is the biggest problem. If you have access to a ramp then your laughing.

Back