Strut brace knocking sump

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st220kyle

Recently fitted an OMP front lower strut brace and it's rubbing on the sump, any ideas or fixes for this?

I'm thinking possibly a slack engine mount is the cause?
Or even filling out the mounting holes in the brace to elongate them which will enable me to lower the brace.

I would say it's an old mount.

Looking at mine and without measuring it I'd say you should have about 20mm 10mm gap between the lowest part of the engine/gearbox and the brace.

I personally wouldn't elongate the holes as you could introduce the chance of movement which kind of contradicts the point of fitting the brace.

EDIT: 20mm gap was a slight 'miscalculation'. It's about 10mm

st220kyle said:
Any idea which mount could be at fault to save me replacing them all?
Best bet would be to check them, the rear mount is very easy to check with it being underneath and exposed. Gearbox mount is under the battery box and engine mount is behind the power steering reservoir. All are available and fairly cost friendly.

Mine did this. You need a new gearbox side mount. It's not too bad to change, you take battery and battery tray out then you have access. Possibly nearside wheel arch liner as well. They are cheap but there are two types, threaded and non threaded (you'll see what I mean). I got one and needed the other but easily solved by drilling out threads.

Latest posts

Back