Stuck drum brake cover

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys

The drum brake makes hell of a noise sometimes during slowing down. I had new drum brakes a year ago so wanna have a look why is that.
I took the wheel off but the cover is stuck and moving nowhere.. Is there a screw or something that holds it in its place or how can I remove it by hammering on it without damaging anything inside?

Depending on which way you want to remove it you either need to undo the 4 bolts holding the hub assembly onto the axle (behind the drum) or you need to undo and remove the centre axle nut (but be aware that you are then going to need a new nut as they are not meant to be re-used)
Which ever route you go down back off the handbrake adjuster, 10mm nut on the handbrake lever, as much as you can then the drum should come off, might need a bit of persuasion, ie hit one side pull the other etc, if there is a ridge worn inside it can take some effort to get it off,however as all the shoes etc are well fixed nothing really comes to any harm when you belt it, use a nylon or rubber hammer though if you can

zinc2000 said:
[post]362791[/post] Depending on which way you want to remove it you either need to undo the 4 bolts holding the hub assembly onto the axle (behind the drum) or you need to undo and remove the centre axle nut (but be aware that you are then going to need a new nut as they are not meant to be re-used)
Which ever route you go down back off the handbrake adjuster, 10mm nut on the handbrake lever, as much as you can then the drum should come off, might need a bit of persuasion, ie hit one side pull the other etc, if there is a ridge worn inside it can take some effort to get it off,however as all the shoes etc are well fixed nothing really comes to any harm when you belt it, use a nylon or rubber hammer though if you can
I thought the drum cover should just come off, when the wheel's off as well, because that's hold it on it's place.. Thanks very much, I'll have a look

Sylvester wrote
I thought the drum cover should just come off, when the wheel's off as well, because that's hold it on it's place.. Thanks very much, I'll have a look

Oh if only it was that easy :grin:

Latest posts

Back