suspension NIGHTMARE

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johno22

Just picked up my eibach suspension and started to dismantle the rear. How in gods name do you remove the spring from the dampner? i have tried and it just dosnt seem obvious? Also know this sounds like a daft question but which way up are the springs meant to go? I always thought tightly wound bit at the bottom, but the writing on the shocks would then be upside down.
Does anyone know of a 'how to' for lowering all round? Im at my whits end and its dark now.

need a spring compresser to take pressure off the spring and as ben says DO NOT try undoing it without the spring compressor as you could get seriously hurt

yea got the spring compressors and tension is off, but there is like a big rubber bump stop on the top of the dampner and there dosnt seem to be an obvious way of getting it off? old Focus was a walk in the park compared to this lol

ok ok...

take the rear damper off so its in front of you.

compress the spring until it gives you lots of movement of the top rubber mount.

once you can move the rubber mount up and down freely you will be able to see a VERY small metal clip in the shape of horseshoe on about 2inch from the top of the damper.

Carefully remove this clip using a flat head screwdriver and then you will be able to remove all the mounts and spring.

There is 2 of them on the damper. one to stop the rubber mount coming off upwards and one to stop it going too far down. You only need to removed the top one but DONT lose it and make sure you replace it in the groove once the new spring has been put on. Make sure everything is slotted together in its slots and when everything is attached and uncompressed and ready to go back on the car make sure you fit the little lug on the rubber mount into the right position on the chassis. This might require you to push the spring down a little and twist it till it lines up right.

Dont forget your bump stop and with it being lowered you might need to cut a few rings off it.

This is dangerous work if your not careful so take extra care with those spring compressors.

check out the pictures of my suspension on the project puma thread (black and green) Tyeboi

Hope this helps.

any questions feel free to ask as I have done this job on my puma tonnes of times!

Latest posts

Back