SUSPENSION NOISES

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alerno

It took me years to find, buy and mount my Eibach springs. I am delighted at how the car handles, I live in the hills of Barcelona, and basically I feel what every wheel is doing. Pace is great too. I am also delighted at how the car looks, now lower. However, I am not so delighted with the thumping noises especially the rear suspension makes. I had the springs mounted by a cheap mechanic back in Germany and I guess he didn't replace any of the mounting parts. Shock absorbers are standard and were not replaced. Basically the car used to make noises previously, as if the shocks and springs were loose, but now it is so much worse. I don't feel the car to be particularly stiff but it makes what feels as "bottomed down" noises with the smallest of bumps or holes. Does anybody know of any typical issues or whether it is simple wear?

- What suspension components shall I replace and how often?
- Any specific issues?
- Were there specific brands and models recommended by Ford after 99?
- I read somewhere Eibachs were made to be mounted to normal shock absorbers. Is there any "softish" absorber you know to combine well with Eibachs?

Thanks a million. And a half.

I, like many others, fitted KYB Exel-G shock absorbers with the Eibachs. In my opinion, unless the existing shock absorbers have been recently replaced, they should be renewed when fitting the springs.

http://kyb-europe.com/products/shock-absorbers/excel-g/

I put Eibachs on my Thunder a few years ago, precipitated by a front spring breaking! And I was really pleased with the result and how it suited my manner of driving.

I replaced all four dampers with standard Ford items and all the rubber insulators at the same time, so I go with Rick on replacing old dampers. Before I rebuilt the suspension, I had some crashing and banging, which was reduced, and by just comparing the old and new front insulators indicated I was doing the right thing in replacing all these components.

If you have excessive noise, you might want to check the "gaps" between the turret (ie the body) and bottom of the top retainer (ie te damper) IIRC about 8mm (?). If you go down the line of standard Ford items, on the front damper you might find that the threaded portion of the piston rod is shorter than the original - so you dispense with that iron weight fitted on the top under the plastic cover!

A picture is worth a thousand words, Thanks for posting them Rick.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Yes, I will definitely replace everything. I just need to translate everything to Spanish. Thanks so much!

Do you all know specific brands of components that are particularly good? In Germany a guy who sold me an original exhaust (faulty, btw) told me some suspension rubber parts should be replaced with harder plastic ones.

Pkp said:
I put Eibachs on my Thunder a few years ago, precipitated by a front spring breaking! And I was really pleased with the result and how it suited my manner of driving.

I replaced all four dampers with standard Ford items and all the rubber insulators at the same time, so I go with Rick on replacing old dampers. Before I rebuilt the suspension, I had some crashing and banging, which was reduced, and by just comparing the old and new front insulators indicated I was doing the right thing in replacing all these components.

If you have excessive noise, you might want to check the "gaps" between the turret (ie the body) and bottom of the top retainer (ie te damper) IIRC about 8mm (?). If you go down the line of standard Ford items, on the front damper you might find that the threaded portion of the piston rod is shorter than the original - so you dispense with that iron weight fitted on the top under the plastic cover!

Thanks. TBH I didn't understand the whole last paragraph. I'll translate and try to grasp everything.

In the meantime: what shock absorbers did you mount? Is there any thread discussing them (specifically for Eibachs)? I am happy with the standard stiffness. I do drive a bit edgy (to the grip limit) but I need some oscillation (how do you say this in English?), to feel when the Pumita is about to lose grip. Stiffer shocks might be more efficient, rapid, but I prefer communicating more closely and progressively with my little mate.

YOG said:
I, like many others, fitted KYB Exel-G shock absorbers with the Eibachs. In my opinion, unless the existing shock absorbers have been recently replaced, they should be renewed when fitting the springs.

http://kyb-europe.com/products/shock-absorbers/excel-g/

Thanks. Would you say these KYB dampers are rather stiff or average? I trust you Brits already because of the tech level but even more since you all always say your roads are not very flat.

As I asked above (sorry for quoting a question): Is there any thread discussing them (specifically for Eibachs)? I am happy with the standard stiffness. I do drive a bit edgy (to the grip limit) but I need some oscillation (how do you say this in English?), to feel when the Pumita is about to lose grip. Stiffer shocks might be more efficient, rapid, but I prefer communicating more closely and progressively with my little mate.

I may be wrong, but have a very vague recollection of the top mounts being available in polyurethane, but cannot find any information.
Generally speaking, polyurethane bushes usually give a harsher ride than the standard rubber ones. However, it's a matter of personal choice, some people like them, some don't.
My personal experience is that I originally had Powerflex fitted, but found them harsh for day to day driving. I now have Powerflex anti-rollbar bushes and front wishbone lower front bushes, "FRP type" (no longer available), front wishbone lower rear bushes, and rubber rear beam mounting bushes (but not from Ford). Top Mounts for both front and rear are standard Ford items, and new bearings fitted with the front ones.

Powerflex Bushes:
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/pdf/create.php?id=2210

[/quote]
Thanks. Would you say these KYB dampers are rather stiff or average? I trust you Brits already because of the tech level but even more since you all always say your roads are not very flat.
As I asked above (sorry for quoting a question): Is there any thread discussing them (specifically for Eibachs)? I am happy with the standard stiffness. I do drive a bit edgy (to the grip limit) but I need some oscillation (how do you say this in English?), to feel when the Pumita is about to lose grip. Stiffer shocks might be more efficient, rapid, but I prefer communicating more closely and progressively with my little mate.
[/quote]

I think you'll find that the KYB quoted, perform in a similar way to the standard Ford items, but they are better quality:
Specification:
Restores OE performance
> One way anti-foaming valve reduces foaming and performance fade
> Three stage dual valving
> Teflon coated piston valve
> Seamless inner cylinder and eye ring, no leaks
> Bonded bushings and sleeves
> Hard chromed piston rod

It's generally the lowered springs that shorten the standard length shock absorber's travel, that reduces the ride quality over rough surfaces.
I would suspect that a new standard Ford item with Eibachs, would give a similar performance to the KYB. I chose KYB as a better product, and purchased cheaper that the Ford item.

My Puma has a slightly harsher ride than my Ford Focus ST250 on 19" wheels, which I don't find uncomfortable, seeing as I'm 71!

As an Old Age Pensioner, I thought I was the oldest on this Forum! Also with a Focus but a 2008 ST225 - tyre noise is my bugbear!

Hopefully Rick's images have helped explain my last paragraph, and it looks like if they are of his Puma with the KYBs, the front strut piston rod is long enough to include the weight.

Like Rick, subjectively the ride of my Puma with the Eibachs was harsher than my Focus. You do not mention tyre/wheel sizes, my Thunder had standard wheels with 195/50 15 Michelin PE2s, and lower arms and rear bushes had also been replaced fairly recently. All these things contribute to handling and harshness.

Keep the shiny side up.

YOG said:
I now have lower front bushes, "FRP type" (no longer available)
I would bet my life those are from a courier or something similar that needs more robust bushing. While at it, I bet you could 'convert' the regular puma ones to FRP standard using some windshield adhesive should one decide so...

Latest posts

Back