suspension woes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

From a manufacturers warranty perspective -

What is "used beyond it’s limits" when it comes to standard sports suspension?

In law (which overrides any warranty) this is defined by what an ordinary and reasonable person would find as unreasonable uses or expectations (this is the old 'Man on the Clapham Omnibus' ruling)

In the case of road cars with 'standard sports suspension' then things like aerial jumps on the hills of San Francisco or abnormal G forces, etc. would be considered as unreasonable expectations.

In all other circumstances, a reasonable person would expect any suspension system to perform as such and not to fail its intended purpose. i.e. the car should have adequate working suspension on the roads that a normal person would be driving on.

If items do fail reasonable expectations, then they are 'not fit for purpose' and you should turn to the appropriate UK Consumer Law legislation.

so driving on normal potholed roads around the UK would be classed as normal usage i.e. what I would expect new suspension to be able to handle?

Also is it right for me to expect that new sports suspension that lowers the car by 30mm all round to be stiff / stiffer that the suspension that was on the car from new i.e. should I be able to push the front suspension down by hand?

AshLaw said:
[post]356706[/post] so driving on normal potholed roads around the UK would be classed as normal usage i.e. what I would expect new suspension to be able to handle?
Yes, any reasonable person would class that as normal usage and, thus, so would any court of law.

In theory, a huge pothole might damage stuff, but then only on one side.

AshLaw said:
[post]356706[/post] Also is it right for me to expect that new sports suspension that lowers the car by 30mm all round to be stiff / stiffer that the suspension that was on the car from new i.e. should I be able to push the front suspension down by hand?
By definition it would be stiffer and you certainly cannot push the standard front suspension down by hand.

Thank you Frank - although you have just made everything very much more complicated. lol.

The suspension in the picture is GMAX with a top mount attached.

The GMAX suspension has been removed from the car under warranty because the suspension is extremely bouncy - so bouncy in fact that I can push the front suspension down by hand (when apparently it should be be solid). The suspension has been on the car less than 5 months.

According to the How To on stripping and rebuilding rear suspension - the picture in question shows that the suspension has been rebuilt correctly (spring, top mount, circlip).

GMAX are saying that as the top mount is not right up against the circlip then the suspension has either been tightened up too much or the car has been used beyond its limits.

any thoughts guys?

There is two circlips fitted to that rear shock assembly I take it? Could The mount be jammed on the lower clip? Stopping the mount from going to the top?

There is only one circlip and the top mount should be flush with it.

I'm sure the standard rear shock/spring set up has 2 circlips. Maybe I'm wrong or its different with a non standard set up?

On the standard Ford Puma suspension there is only one circlip per suspension strut - please see the How To Guide on stripping the rear suspension on this forum.

On the aftermarket / GMAX suspension there is also only one circlip per suspension strut.

Have you seen this thread? They talk about two clips here.... http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29412&p=348117&hilit=top+mount#p348117

The old and original suspension that we took off the car had one circlip. The new GMAX only has one circlip.

tbh - I don't know. Mountney only showed me the picture of one rear shock, not the other.

It is difficult to know what to put on ProjectPuma without fear of retribution from somebody / company re: this issue. It is quite a long, drawn out case and involves companies / people that people on here may have dealt with for years with no problems and would not have a bad word said aginst them.

Back