TAPE ECU

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was one on ebay a few weeks ago sat for quite a while at £18 took a fair while to sell as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/puma-1-7-ecu-/330609370185?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf9daa449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there was this one sold recently:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-2000-ECU-XS6F-12A650-AHB-CHIP-/160648211659?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2567612ccb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how much they go for I only recently heard of them. What benefits do they give just out of curiosity?

Sparx said:
I don't know how much they go for I only recently heard of them. What benefits do they give just out of curiosity?

They CAN be given the FRP Map, which costs up to an additional £200, but WILL NOT give you a FRPs performance, without the additional inlet airbox exhaust manifold and cams!

Without the rest of the FRP setup you get a very mild driveability increase and the disabling of the torque limiter in the lower gears (which you can do with a bit of wiring as well)

Also if you run a 2 lamba setup (phil) and go to a 4-2-1 manifold having the tape ecu allows you work off the single lamba without having to go thru the hassle of making up the extension cable for the second lamba.

The FRP map has a higher rev limit v standard map but you really want to get one with a key / transponder otherwise you have to pay £60 to get the new ecu coded to your existing keys.

When you change over from the phil you need to also move one of the pins.

So would you recommend it being less hassle if i were to upgrade certain parts of the engine then just get a remap on the standard ECU?

Depends what you go with - when I was talking to ollie and had FRP cams installed he told me to go with a evolution remap on my phil ecu?

If you go for the full FRP setup then it is worth getting the FRP map and tape ecu

Hmm. Thought it seemed a tad overpriced. Thanks guys.

Sparx, depending on what year your Kat is, you may already have a TAPE ECU fitted.

there was a tape ecu on ebay last week for buy now £30. i payed 60 for mine when my frp had a dive ecu fitted and didnt pop n bang.

i also bought a full 1.7 loom and tape ecu clocks and 3 keys and lock set for £90 :) ebay lol its for my pumsta.. mk5 zetec s 1.7. which i bought off a lad who got it to run with a 1.6 ecu and loom :| hope it will run right weekend.

just foundnt this.. tape ecu buy now or make offer 24.99 cheap.. spare maybe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3087-FORD-PUMA-ECU-XS6F-12A650-AHB-LP2-111-TAPE-XS6F12A650AHB-PCM-MODULE-/260850394234?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbbe5247a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tux said:

Sparx, depending on what year your Kat is, you may already have a TAPE ECU fitted.

Its a 2001? (Y reg)

Sparx said:
tux said:

Its a 2001? (Y reg)

Have a look behind the flooring in the passenger foot well where the fuel cut off is. Your ECU is behind there and it will be printed on it, generally a 4 letter word - MUFF DIVE TAPE TEAT PEST etc

As above, have a look behind the carpet above the OBD port, the ECU is there in cage.
I have a May 1999 car which as I understand it was one of the first to get a TAPE unit, so reckon you have a good chance Sparx.

Flying Scotsman said:
Sparx said:
tux said:

Its a 2001? (Y reg)

Have a look behind the flooring in the passenger foot well where the fuel cut off is. Your ECU is behind there and it will be printed on it, generally a 4 letter word - MUFF DIVE TAPE TEAT PEST etc

Should i really take you seriously? :funny:

Lol, Thanks guys i'll have a look :lol:

Sparx I have special powers lol ..... using my special powers I say your car has a phil ecu and also has two lambda connectors in your engine bay one green , one blue.....

ok I don't have special powers but your car is on a ""y" reg so must have the later ecu and two lambda connectors.... looked at your project thread :oops:

:lol: :-D

fatdonger said:
Sparx I have special powers lol ..... using my special powers I say your car has a phil ecu and also has two lambda connectors in your engine bay one green , one blue.....

ok I don't have special powers but your car is on a ""y" reg so must have the later ecu and two lambda connectors.... looked at your project thread :oops:

thats fine i will let you know if you're powers are working :lol:

:lol:

So i've had a look and i'm assuming i have to physically take it out of the cage.. i'm not gonna do that right now seeing as i'm at work n' all. Gonna have to keep guessing for the time being ;) lol

Latest posts

Back