The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah - I forgot you had a crunchy gearbox. I reckon that's probably looking like a winning idea, that.

PS - didn't mean to insult Jegger's alloys; I wasn't saying I thought they needed doing as I had no idea of their condition, just that if they had needed doing, £240 would easily cover it. :oops:

I was just wondering if your eibachs came with instructions saying which shocks the bump stops are for?

Nope, but my guess would be the rear. The lack of them may be why the Eilbachs have an extra coil over the standard springs to act as a built-in stop?

No I just spotted the question cropping up elsewhere and wanted to file it away for further use.

The only thing I'm doing just now is smarting from paying out for a humungously expensive set of three pump to rack power steering pipes :evil:

Sat at work this morning, I though, 'Sod this' so booked a spontaneous afternoon off and naffed off before anyone worked out where I was going.

Jegger is off the the body shop next week and I'd done nothing to organise some Pug 206 wings for the rear arch repairs. I set off for Bridges at Pease Pottage, our local breakers, to get hold of said wings. I had emailed them earlier in the week to check if they had anything and, after a second email asking if they could reply to my first, had been told they had them in. Arrived at the desk to find a bored looking old boy who told me that they don't have them off the shelf. Might have them out in the yard but they're all a bit smashed up.... Oh great. So with his lack of enthusiasm bordering on 'coma patient', and my lack of tools and time to go stripping the front end of some battered old French hatchback, I got back in the car and (when I was sure no one was looking) flipped the place the bird. Yeah, sticking it to the man...

I got back in touch with the body shop who said that they could fabricate but that it would bump the price up quite a bit. They suggested that I tried Hove Car Spares in Portslade. Gave them a ring; 'Yeah mate, took a decent pair off one this morning. I'll hang on to them if you like?' Yes I did like.

Drove down there and what a great place! Like an Aladin's cave of car parts. Had great car-nerd fun playing Name that car with the shelf of Headlight units while the guy went to get the wings, had a poke around the alloy sets, and a good rummage around the stereo units dotted around the counter. £25 each for the wings I considered to be the going rate and all was sorted. Can recommend them if you need something in a hurry.

Pug wings packed in boot ready to go;

pug_wings.jpg

Just in time too as the rust seems to be claiming the arches at an accelerated rate at the moment;

rusty_rust1.jpg

rusty_arch2.jpg

rusty_arch3.jpg

Not long now... :cool:

Cheers Danny! Much appreciated! :cool:

I waved goodbye to Jegger about half an hour ago (not really as there were people watching and I'm a grown man). This is going to feel like a very long wait but should be well worth it! A good sign was the very nice (well I like them) Ferrari 308 GT4 that was being finished off when I arrived.

Couple of pictures to remember him as-was - tatty and rather shoddy...

puma_pre-spray2.jpg

puma_pre-spray1.jpg

Time to start sourcing some bits for the suspension re-fresh.

Drum roll baited breath, chews maniacally on a real pie (to save finger nails) and ta daaaaaaaaaa.........

Whens the job complete?

Update! I got a call from South Downs Body Shop on Tuesday asking if I'd like to come in and take a look at progress and take some pictures. Sadly, I couldn't get there until today but they had already taken some images of the rear arches being cut out and replaced (I'll add these in at a later date).

So with camera in hand I excitedly drove over after work to take a look. I was told to have a good look round and was welcome to have a good chat about what was being done. I grabbed a few pictures while I was there;

Puma_respray1.jpg

puma_respray2.jpg

puma_respray3.jpg

puma_respray4.jpg

Amazed at the amount of imperfections they've found! Should be sealed then primed early next week. I'll get some more pictures then!

Latest posts

Back