Thinking of insuring with Bell? You might want to read this

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1208259&mid=216732&i=0&nmt=You+MUST+have+a+%27box%27+installed+before+insuring+you+%2D+wtf%3F&mid=216732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I rang up my previous insurer (Bell) yesterday after receiving a decent quote online.

With my payment card in my hand ready to hand over hundreds of my hard earned you'd think any company would jump at the chance to take my cash - no convictions, no claims, decent amount of years NCB, sensible car, bla bla bla.

I was on the phone for about 5-10 minutes with "hi I'm James <surname> but you can call me Jamie", double checking I've put everything correct online and has all the perks I need. We get to the final bit before they ask what my card details are to make the payment until...

BELL: "OK sir, we have a policy whereby we send a qualified engineer around to fit a new device we have that keeps track of your progress. We reward you after the year if you have not had any incidents or claims".

ME: "Er...you what?" - now frantically clicking the back button on my browser window making sure I haven't missed this part. Nope, nothing mentioned about this - 'maybe it is a sales tactic; just say no' I think to myself.

ME: "No thanks, I just want car insurance like everyone else. Nothing fitted to my car thank you". I was expecting to skip this part and then finally pay for my damn car insurance - again, Jamie replies...

BELL: "It's our policy that has been running since June that we fit your car with this device. It's had no problems with any of our existing customers and I cannot continue unless you agree to this"

ME: "You won't sell me car insurance unless I have someone come around my house, cut cables in my car and fit a device that's going to end up spying on me? You're kidding right?"

BELL: "No sir. All our technicians are qualified and you won't have any issues"

ME: "But that's not the point. I don't want a little black box fitted to my car transmitting data to you guys. You honestly won't just sell the car insurance without this?"

BELL: "No sir its been our policy since June. It does not record any personal data and you will end up benefitting if you make no claims"

By this point I am really angry because literally NOTHING was stated anywhere I could find on their site I had to have the 'Big Brother' box fitted to my car. I promptly told the sales chap this is terrible and should offer it on the side and not a mandatory requirement and hung up.

I honestly couldn't believe it. I phoned again and asked a different person about this mystery tracking box thing and they confirmed you HAVE TO have it, otherwise you can basically get lost. I can see why some MAY want it, but for me I don't - I don't like the idea of this thing in my car, taking power, sending data I can't see back to some Insurance overlord HQ so they can eventually say "oops - we see you went over 70MPH quite often throughout the year, so your a higher risk and we want to charge you for it" or "You mostly drive at night and so thats a higher risk" - kerrrr ching! thank you sir.

As for 'no personal data being transmitted' that may well be correct. However every damn box thing will have a unique ID that relates to you - hence they know exactly what you do, when you do it, where you park, how you drive and everything else!!!

I'll never ever feel comfortable in my own car with this thing keeping check on me.

I pray to the big man upstairs that this is some terrible fad they are going through and other insurers will dismiss it. Unfortunately knowing insurance companies they'll all probably jump at the chance and if I ever have to have this 'big brother' box fitted to my car because the law states it I will quit driving altogether.

I went with their sister company Admiral instead. No stupid spy box; just me, my car and a bit of paper saying i am insured.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? If you're with Bell I would phone them and ask what this is all about before you accept a new policy...

EDIT: Policy can be read here

Obviously this isn't me (this was taken from Pistonheads). The thread does go on for some time, but the crux of it is this - installation of a 'black box' tracking device is compulsory for cover with Bell.

i use to be insured by them but they got too expensive

my daughters boyfriend had a box like this put in his corsa when he first got insurance with insurethebox he was limited to 5000 miles for that policy he ran out of miles after 7 months and had to take a policy with someone else

I'm with insurethebox on the FRP and like your daughters boyfriend I have virtually run out of miles after 6 months. It's a good idea for the young as it gives them a sensible insurance quote in their first year of driving, you can add miles to the insurance policy if/when needed.

The only reasons I went with them was due to needing another policy and they were half the price of the competion

my daughter passed her test in august and cheapest we got her insurance for was £1700 and that was paying it in one lump some insurance is getting shockingly priced but in saying that i got insurance for the milly for less than i currently have my focus insured for which suprised me

That looks like it only applies to those on the "Safe Driver Scheme" which I assume is for younger drivers and those newly qualified.

If it reduces the risks of an accident by 17 year old's thinking they're Ayrton Senna, then I'm all for it.

The OP in the thread above is 26!

Any insurer that insists on putting a black box in my car can go and do one.

for young people and high risk convicted drivers, yes i can see the benefits.

However this being a matter of course for "regular" insurance is just stupid and will no doubt lead to increased premiums for the majority under the advertisement guise of "you could save xxxx".

Latest posts

Back