Thirst For Fuel - Or Not In This Case

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yippeekiay

Up North i.e. 100+ Miles Above Manchester!!!
Sorry to bore you all about fuel economy....once again...lol.

I don't continuously worry about it or try to eek every last drop out of my Puma but I do keep an eye on it for anything strange which can help in forewarning against anything wrong.

Luckily, my latest findings are for the good...or unexplained in my head.

Anyway, filled up Tuesday night in Scunthorpe for the return trip home on Wednesday. Only took it easy as I wasn't feeling in a rush. Steady 60mph all the way home. Then off back to Scunny Thursday morning when I noticed my fuel gauge wasn't falling as fast as it normally does as I've been doing the same trip 3 times a week for 5 weeks now. I managed to get to 165 miles before it was on the three-quarter mark which made me check my photo's from the super economy drive I did in March 09. The car had more fuel left than that trip which certainly suprised me. Took a photo of my gauge at 200 miles to compare later. Then back home again tonight at a steady 60 again and a few more pics took.

Can't believe it but the old Pu still has more fuel left than my 503.7 mile marathon even though I was only doing 50 then. This car certainly keeps suprising me despite it's stupid issues with bearings...lol.

And the photo's...old and new.

March 09 - 200 miles
View media item 1400
Yesterday - 200 miles
View media item 1402
March 09 - 325 miles
View media item 1189
Today when I got home - 335 miles
View media item 1401
As you can see by the last 2 photo's. I've done 10 miles more so far but the gauge is higher by a little. This is at 10mph faster than the economy drive, plus I have done urban driving from the motorways to the office and ditto to my home so god knows what I could get out of the tank.

I'm contemplating trying to get to Ford Fair on this tank on Sunday Morning. That's another 200 miles!!....doh!!!

As I said at the beginning, I don't drive like a complete Tw@t as my average mpg is a meagre 38.1 as my siggy link shows but it's nice to see I could save a bundle if I did become one, and this sort of stuff interests me for some bizarre reason...lol

Are you useing that new shell fuel?

Cause i git 140 miles to a quarter of a tank last night- inc a massively fast motorwaqy blat

Beat me Tina.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I find 3k revs in the 1.7 is the point where fuel just goes (I average 280 miles per tank, which is fine). Don't dare work it out for the FRP!

Done 340 miles tonight, still have quarter tank left :D Most of it was motorway driving, a steady 60-65mph most of the way

I don't even get close to those figures.

But poodling around has never been my thing.

250miles for a full tank usually.

JamesMalin said:
I don't even get close to those figures.

But poodling around has never been my thing.

250miles for a full tank usually.

same as me..

I did 314 miles once and i actually ran out and rolled into the garage forecourt but that was mainly Motorway miles.

I really don't see how people get these figures.

It must be a standard Puma 1.4 or 1.6 and literally starting on the motorway and not going above 2.5k revs!

Part of it at least must be the engine. The average on my old puma was about 36/37 mpg, yet with the Millie, I'm getting 41/42 mpg. Nothing different at all with my driving style.

Cherie said:
Part of it at least must be the engine. The average on my old puma was about 36/37 mpg, yet with the Millie, I'm getting 41/42 mpg. Nothing different at all with my driving style.

It could also be that your older Puma had the MS design spoiler on it and Millie doesn't. Jacko notices a mpg drop when he put the F2 spoiler on.

Dal said:
It could also be that your older Puma had the MS design spoiler on it and Millie doesn't.

Mine has a MS Design spoiler too Dal, never made a lot of difference to be honest, but i would think that an F2 spoiler would make a difference

It is the trick of reading the road ahead and driving amoothly. I hit the rev limiter once-twice per tank and do not hang around etc and still get 350 to an average tank (motorway and urban mixed).

pumapilot said:
JamesMalin said:
It must be a standard Puma 1.4 or 1.6 and literally starting on the motorway and not going above 2.5k revs!

:lol: Mine is an anything but standard 1.7

But surely you don't get 300-400 miles per tank?

crystalpuma said:
It is the trick of reading the road ahead and driving amoothly. I hit the rev limiter once-twice per tank and do not hang around etc and still get 350 to an average tank (motorway and urban mixed).

Why do you hit the rev limiter? :?

I actually pulled into the Petrol Station today and it read 310 miles and the light had not come on yet. Only miles i had done were to and from Silverstone on the M1 aswell as M25 and A1 driving too. So all high constant 70mph speeds.

I'd get bored doing that all the time.

As I'm currently travelling 3 times a week doing a 220 round trip, i.e 660 a week just to go to a clients office, I was far to tempted to toe the arse out of the Pu' weeks ago but I ended up being about 15 minutes earlier - if I was lucky - than I was taking it easy.
By taking it easy I'm getting excellent mpg and to be honest it's a way less stressfull than trying to rush in heavy traffic as I don't end up waiting for people to pull over to pass them, it's more the other way round, they get stressed and I can't see what the fuss is about...lol.
As I said, the upside is also the mpg I'm getting...tonight I had less than a quarter of a tank when I left the office and was on 335 miles or thereabouts. Anyway, the light came on at 389 and I knew I had 51/2 miles until the garage I wanted to fill up at near my house and thought I'd risk it....lol (I've gotten 87 out of reserve before so not a big risk really). Managed it quite easily in the end, was doing 65 which after all is only 5mph below the limit and needed less than 42 litres to fill it up and that was after 441 miles. I say only 42 litres - I know the tank is supposed to be 40 but I've managed to put over 44 litres in it on several occasions.
Driving on a motorway is boring for me at any speed so I can't see the point. I do my fast driving where there's corners ;)

JamesMalin said:
But surely you don't get 300-400 miles per tank?

Yes i usually do get more too, not driving like a granny either, long motorway runs are economical, back road hooning is more fun, but less economical too.

Back