Throttle bodies

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robmog

Hi All

I’m running a Puma 1.7 125ps in a Morgan 4/4. I’m really happy with the engine but I decided to put ITBs on it. Current set up is a set from danst including gsxr bodies with injectors. I’ve still got the original ford injectors but they are not wired in to fuel or the ecu.

The ecu is a motorsports electronics me221. There is a base map for a zetec se 1.4 so I’ve tried to adjust that to make it run a bit.

Current status is that it runs ok a high revs I’d guess 3500 upwards but won’t idle at all and dies if you try and bring it below 3.5k. Has anyone had a similar set up? If so can they shed any light on the issues? Otherwise it’s going to be a very expensive few hours on the rolling road!

Thanks in advance everyone

Hi Robmog, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a nice setup going on there. I don't have any experience but I'd guess that a base map for a smaller capacity engine would be quite a lot out from what you'd need?

I don't know anything about mapping or aftermarket ECUs so I'll comment on what I've read...

The 1.7 uses an ICV (Idle Control Valve) to allow air through to the engine when the throttle butterfly is shut. Does the base map for the 1.4 have provision for this ICV?

Also, the 1.7 used VCT (Variable Cam Timing) which is something that the 1.4 didn't have...

^^ VCT is a massive oversight, I'm sure the 1.4 map won't take that into account.

The ME221 will a run vvt engine if i remember correctly but will need mapping for vvt. Also the only way to get it running correctly is to have it mapped on a rolling road or live mapped whist someone is driving. A rolling road session is much cheaper than an engine rebuild due to fuelling or ignition timing errors causing a piston to melt for example.

CherryVimto said:
[post]369249[/post] I don't know anything about mapping or aftermarket ECUs so I'll comment on what I've read...

The 1.7 uses an ICV (Idle Control Valve) to allow air through to the engine when the throttle butterfly is shut. Does the base map for the 1.4 have provision for this ICV?

Also, the 1.7 used VCT (Variable Cam Timing) which is something that the 1.4 didn't have...

ITBs don’t use icv. I know the 2.4 didn’t have vct. I’m using an st170 vct map but the systems work differently
The st170 has a vaned phaser in the pulley which is moved axially to advance the inlet can.

The zetec se 1.7 vct works by having a helical gear which is moved forward along the the long axis of the cam shaft to mate with an opposing gear within the pulley.

I’m using the st170 vct map but it’s probably not quite right the systems work in a different way see above. Hop

I'll be heading down a similar route soon too, Ive got a ported head built up now with Jenvey 42mm direct to head ITBs, ST170 fuel injectors in a fiesta 1.4 fuel rail and VCT on FRP cams (for now). I have narrowed the choice of ECU down to the ME221 or the Emerald K6+ (which I believe can now run vvt / vct). The ME221 ST170 vct should be able to run the puma vct regardless of any slight internal differences as their vct ONLY controller is compatible with both systems. I may use their ECU with the ST170 fuel / ignition basemap to start with as i'm using the ST170 injectors and 170hp is a close approximation of my target.
The Emerald ECU used to be available from Lightening Motorsport with a Plug n Play adapter, don't know if it still is??
Unless you have a laptop with the ME221 MEITE software and a decent air / fuel monitor its a rolling road job. The idle should be able to be set up using ignition advance / target rpm rather than an ICV.

Thanks Rob, I think you’re right about the k6. I chose the me221 because it’s got a lot of features for the price and they were the first ecu manufacturers to get the hang on closed loop vct.
I’ve read up on the system now and managed to get a reasonable idle running next to no ignition advance at low revs/load. I’ve also got it running quite rich at idle which stops it hunting.

Latest posts

Back