Top strut nut

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granitemc

Changing strut over and top nut won't budge. With allen key in there to stop movement and swan neck spanner its stuck.

Do I need spring compressors ? Before It eventually comes off as don't want my wing to get screwed by expanding springs😔
As you guys well know there is just the bolt securing whole strut in engine bay.

Just read back my question 😂😂😂 Obviously spring compressors I will be using when taking strut out . Should be able to use like a plug spanner with space for Allen key in middle , any other ideas are always welcome

Is this the very top nut under the plastic cover that holds the damper weight in place? Or one underneath that holds the bearing and top spring retainer in place ?

If all else fails, use an impact wrench (or ask your friendly mechanic too). Not benificiary for your strut though, but it will do the job.

Some plus gas penetrating oil, and have you got the type of Allen Key driver that fits in a Socket so you can apply a bit more leverage? Is the car still on the ground ?

This is the nut that you should only loosen, until you have got the strut out of the hub carrier and all the bits off. I don't remember having trouble with this one, but I did with the one holding the bearing in place.

Thanks guys its first time for me on a strut with just this top nut and not usual 3 nuts to take strut out then compress springs etc .

Cheers again 👍👍👍👍

Three Nuts - Like a Capri ? I did a few of those when I was younger.

It is a good idea to replace the bearing and the rubber top mounting insulator - There are some good posts on the forum with old/new comparison images of these insulators. And if you have not got a copy, the Haynes Fiesta manual 3397 gives a lot of useful information

This is where I am and appreciate any advice / comments .
All bolts tie rod , carrier loose as is top nut ( engine bay )
Get compressors on springs and hopefully then undo top nut and out of car . Reversal with new strut.

Have you read this?
"The theory is that it is easier to loosen the nut before you jack the car up as the weight of the car takes some of the strain off the nut."
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20952

Back