Toyo T1Rs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sketch

It’s time for some new boots for the car and I’ve seen a good deal for 4 Toyo T1Rs at my local garage. The certainly look the business (which the shamelessly shallow side of me likes) but I’ve read mixed reviews. Given that these reviews have been written by people with differing types cars, I was wondering if they are actually any good on the puma. A quick search on here reveals that some people have (or have had) them so I was wondering what they are like

Answers on a post card…. (actually it would probably be easier if you just posted them on here )

I like T1-Rs as you say they look good and in my opinion work well.

I've got 4 of them on my 17" wheels at present and since I bought them second hand (reasonable tread ~4-5mm) they have been on the car about 5,000 miles. The fronts are now quite low and are due for replacement as the grip isn't so hot now.

I'd buy them again.

I think Dal has 4 on his 15" Propeller wheels too so he might be along to let you know how they fair and his are brand new too.

(I have 4 replacement tyres on order and i'm trying something slightly different this time ;))

As Red says, I have 4 new T1-Rs on my props. They're just about scrubbed in now and delivering a nice quiet ride as well as good grip.

Cherie has 4 of them on her Millie as well. Vix even commented how quiet it was in her car a while ago.

I think they're pretty darn good value.

PS: I got mine for £125 delivered from here: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s99p1667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then find a local garage to fit them for £5 a corner.

Unless you can find some T1S on a similar deal I wouldn't hesitate.

They are perfectly competent tyres, suit the Puma well, look good and don't wear stupidly quickly.

T1-S are no longer manufactured, I looked high and low to no avail. But if you find some - buy them!

:(

Still got some near new T1-S on my 17s though - sheer fluke ebay buy of a pair on new ones at the beginning of the year.

:)

Get them bought - I used Toyo tyres on all my Fords - grippy, good in the wet and on the 'red' (concrete slippy) roads around here.

Good brand - feel better than any others ive tried even giving Conti's a run for the miney you spend.

What deal you get? My local fella trades a decen price too x

Cheers guys

I went ahead and got them fitted on Friday (£200 all in from national tyres)
I don’t know if it’s just me being unused to the car on fresh rubber or the fact that they are brand new and need scrubbing in but when I drove down to Wiltshire on the weekend, I found that when cornering at speed (50, 60 ish) on the B roads, it felt as if the side walls or tread were flexing under the load. The grip was there but the feeling really saps your confidence, having come from very solid and direct feel from my old tyres. Has anyone else had this?

they need scrubbing in mate.... fresh rubber will slide abit on the roads...

although for sum reason mine werent that bad lol but im not on toyos!

As Zara says, you've got to give them a few miles to scrub in, plus don't assume that the pressures are correct just because they've only just been fitted.

Don't forget, on standard wheels, the profile is fairly high, so you will inevitably get some flexing on the sidewalls.

As Cherie & Zara say, they need a few miles to be worn in (think new boots) but after that they'll be lovely. Check recommened psi and keep on top of pressure checks for first few hundred miles, them tyres are excellent.

Interesting thread... as I have 4 Toyo T1-R's arriving today for my Puma after being made aware of them by Dal and seeing what a good deal they were from Camskill :p

Came across this video review whilst reserching them:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdy-U140O8[/youtube]

Back