trouble restarting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deejames

Hi Everyone,

i wonder if anyone can shead some light on this, my wife has stalled the car a couple of times (not sure if it`s her fault or just because the car is still cold) and then has trouble restarting it.

It`s not happened to me yet so i can`t add any more info and to be honest i`m putting it down to the weather and the car being really cold - anyone had the same problem?

I would wonder if the cold is just highlighting a battery that is on its way out ??

Have you checked the electrolyte / fluid level ?

Does kwik fit / anywhere do a free battery check?

other than that has it had a service recently?

good luck with it

from what i can make out the battery is fine, for want of a better way of putting it it`s like the engine is flooded and takes time to start if it stalls.

I take your point but I dont know if cars with all this fancy ecu gear and sensors all over the place can actually get flooded.
Might be a good idea to check the plugs to see what colour they are which gives some indication to how its running.They should all be a nice beige colour.

Frankly there are loads of possible things to check that are well recorded on here but none I can recall were followed by difficulties starting it.

Restarting might need the "hot start" procedure outlined in the owners manual if there's not actually anything wrong with the car.

Basically plant your foot on the accelerator as you turn the engine over and it should start.

Dal said:
Restarting might need the "hot start" procedure outlined in the owners manual if there's not actually anything wrong with the car.

Basically plant your foot on the accelerator as you turn the engine over and it should start.

cheers Dal, i`ll check it out

Cold/Hot Engine Procedure:

Depress clutch pedal fully and start engine without touching accelerator.
At temperatures below -20 °C, turn ignition key to position II for at least one second, to ensure maximum fuel pressure before starting engine.
If engine does not start within 15 seconds, wait for short period and repeat procedure.
If engine does not start after three attempts, wait 10 seconds and follow the Flooded Engine Procedure.
If difficulty is experienced with starting engine at temperatures below -25°C, depress the accelerator pedal ¼ to ½ of its travel to assist starting.
Flooded Engine Procedure:
Depress clutch pedal fully.
Slowly depress accelerator fully, hold it in this position and start engine.
If engine does not start, repeat Cold/Hot Engine Procedure.

Back