VCT Removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john gordon

I fancy getting rid of the VCT on my puma engine. Is it just a case of fitting pullys off a non VCT zetec s?

I thought it was a viscus/centrafugal type setup. Not controled by the ecu?

Pulleys? They've nothing to do with the VCT.

The VCT works off a cylindrical oil pressure cavity to advance / retard the cam timing of the inlet cam.

Bottom left of the picture below:

[albumimg]122[/albumimg]

The ECU on the 1.7 won't know what to do if you remove it though without a custom map.

Why? What advantages to you expect to achieve?

I am going to be running an inlet with both larger lift and longer duration. And I am going to be using bodies with the standard ECU. I am thinking its going to be easier to map without the complication of VCT

throttle bodies are going to need a custom map regardless so might just aswell keep the vct as they wont work with a standard ecu..

To be honest, the VCT is one of the strong points of the 1.7 engine, and I wouldn't bother getting rid of it. An ECU remap wouldn't be any more difficult with them there, and I really think that you'd be creating unnecessary work by removing it.

This is a very difficult route to go down. I have been there and done it.

Answering an earlier post, the vvt has EVERYTHING to do with the pulley. The VVT solenoid moves up or down internally to allow oil to either pass back through into the head, OR into the pulley. It is when the oil goes into the pulley that it will advance the internals (attached to the camshaft) independantly of the external of the pulley (attached to the belt)

Now, to remove it.

You will obviously need a blanking plate for the large hole the solenoid sits in. There are 3 hols in the side of the head behind the pulleys that bolt the solenoid in, blank these off. On the end of the inlet camshaft, there is a removable bearing/cap that has the oil feeds for the pulley, they need blocking. There is then a hole underneath where the inlet camshaft leaves the head (behind the pulley at the bottom) to be blanked off.
From there, the head is sealed!! :)
You then need to engineer a spacer, as a normal exhaust pulley (which works) will sit out of align with the exhaust cam pulley. Good Luck!! :D

Back