Very old spare wheel - options?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanwheel

I had some rare time to myself to potter about today and decided to drop the spare wheel as i'd somehow neglected to look since I bought my puma a while ago.

I guess this is what happens after 16 years of being exposed to the elements!

Not sure if id want to risk using this if I get a flat. Just curious to see what you good people would do / have done with yours in similar circumstances? Ditch it in deference to a modern emergency sealant repair kit? Or refurb/replace the tyre? Buy a new spare?

I wouldn't like to strictly advise what you do with yours, but I recently used mine to drive hundreds of miles on the dual carriageway with no issues.

I have no idea how old the tire was, but it looks healthy and held air. Steelie was rusted like yours but solid.

Mine is still sat in my front porch even though I sold the car nearly 3 years ago. Just checked it and didn't realise it also has the P6000 Pirelli on it although mine has a screw right in the middle of it. :lol:

Anyway, on to what I'd do... In my case I removed it soon after I bought the car and replaced it with one of the standard 9-spoke alloys as I'd bought 4 new alloys.

In the case of the one you have, looks fine to me. I'd just clean the tyre up and give it a check for cracks etc and maybe wire brush/spray the wheel itself.

I have refurbed two wheels but kept the original tyre. However I never had cause to use either of them.

Its probably easiest and cheapest to get a cheap used alloy with a later tyre on it and use that as spare.

Our 51 reg Thunder has only got 34K on it and the back tyres and spare - Goodyears and the originals as fitted new - are all dated late 2001. Fronts are Goodyears dated 2008. I don't generally like using tyres that are over about 7 years old and will be putting 4 new ones on and using a 2008 as the spare. Old tyres may look OK but the rubber does degrade

Hi,

One of my Puma's is still running on the original tyres, drives well with no problems.
A few weeks back I got the spare out (it came with the car new), I took it into my trusted tyre shop it was checked over and I was told it was fine to use.

Regards,
Richard.

Thanks all. Tyre looks good so think I'll clean up the steelie and get some satin black for my next free Sunday afternoon.

My daily driver (quashqai) doesn't have a spare at all - just a sealant kit which seems mad to me.

Back