water ingress

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

On my first Puma there was water in the passenger footwell. So the easy fix was to coat the area (two rubber grommets) with Liquid Rubber which has resolved the issue to this day. I have since also had the passenger side door mirror off and re-sealed this to stop the slight amount of water that was being forced in when it was raining like no tomorrow.

I have just bought another Puma which is to be my project over the summer and this too was claimed to have water ingress in the passenger footwell via the 2 rubber grommets that sit above the passenger footwell.

Having stripped the whole interior out and the pollen filter box area of the Puma and it having rained tonight - it would seem that water is not coming in from the 2 rubber grommets (although I am in the process of giving this area a liberal coat of Liquid Rubber) but it would appear to be coming in from the passenger door (as there is water on the lower portion of the door).

So where would this be coming from - the door? the mirror? or the door seal? I have no clue at the moment!

Any ideas guys? Is this a common problem also?

from behind the bonnet old leaves fill the holes stop water drianing behind the fuse box and heater control box

Just sat in the car whilst it was raining and water is dripping down through the door onto the rubber seal and onto the floor.

It looks like it is coming in where the mirror joins the glass (when the window is up). I felt right up behind the speaker pod and its rather wet.

btw - there are no leaves behind the fuse box or the hcv.

Also there is water sitting inside the boot - only in one place but there are no signs of drip or run lines and its not condensation. That one will require further investigation.

Since the above post - I have replaced the passenger side door seal (what a pain to get hold of one of them s/h - Ford wanted £89 each for them - got one off eBay for £20).

However, even after fitting - water still came in through the door. Turned out that I needed to refit the vapour shield.

Having completely removed the mastic that held the last vapour shield on - I had to find a source of more mastic. Found some on eBay - some 6mm butyl on a roll for £9 and a heavy duty plastic sheet from Screwfix.

Job done.

I had exactly the same problem and I tried new seals plus cut slots in the seals without any success, It was only resolved by resealing the vapour barrier. I imagined that the vapour barrier was just to stop moisture staining the door card. I did not think that rain water would drip on to the barrier and slide down the inside of the door and over the door seal but it did.

Latest posts

Back