Tailgate Leak

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi guys.
My poor Puma is feeling its age and falling apart.....just like me lol.
I had a front spring break last week.
Anyway the problem l need help with is a leak that l can't find. It has only recently developed. It did appear to be coming from behind the trim. See photo 1
20231102_135507.jpg
I tapped the lower edge of the rear window see photo 2
20231102_135625.jpg
The tape hardly notices and it appears to have stopped the water getting behind the trim in photo 1.

However water is still getting in and soaking the yellow microfiber towel in photo 3
20231102_135610.jpg

Any help or advice as to where it is leaking would be gratefully received

Regards Richard

My guess is the hatch glass bond to bodywork is failing. When mine leaked at the base of the glass, I could spray a pressure jet between the glass and bodywork and watch it gently bubble inside the glass.
My remedy was to have the hatch glass removed/resealed/refitted by a windscreen fitter (cash job - was still £90!).
If this is your problem, be prepared to find rust where it has been leaking. Ideally, remove all the relevant trim beforehand. If you find rust when the screen is removed, arrange for the fitter to come back and refit the screen after treatment.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. It would appear that I have solved the issue. I stripped out all the trim, got an assistant with a hose. Then from the inside I tracked down the leak. It was coming from the rubber sealing the hole where the rear wiper protrudes through the tailgate. I surmise that when I had the car wrapped last May the seal was removed for the wrapping and although appeared to have been replaced properly it was not, so over time became more detached. I reseated it after removing the wiper motor. The leak gave all the appearances of the bottom of the glass seal.

Regards,
Richard.

Back