Water pump

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmon

Got the puma in this weekend to get the timing belt done and have been quoted 170 for the job including parts which I thought was reasonable enough. Garage have just been on the phone saying the water pump is knackered which I expected. Problem is they are now saying that it's going to be another 160 on top of the original price which seems a hell if a lot. Anyone any idea of much work it is to change as the pumps themselves seem to be cheap enough?

£160 for a water pump - no way even Ford sell then cheaper than that - was the price inclusive of fitment and labour? that will put the price up to nearer that quote.

The Puma garage list linked in my sig block is where you should have looked first.

Just had my Cambelt Kit replaced.
Garage did the Water Pump at the same time, my pump was £25 Inc.
Not sure how much more work it is, but your quote seems OTT, IMHO.

Seems ott to me as well. It's 160 for labour and parts for water pump and 170 for cambelt, 330 total.

£170 for the cambelt/fitting is a cracking price!!

£160 for the water pump/fitting is bollocks!!

I'm guessing they screwed up on the cambelt/fitting price and are trying to recoup the costs. I'd ask how much to fit a water pump supplied by yourself and depending what they say, tell them the labour cost should be minimal as the access for it is much easier while they have the cambelt off.

Sorry, just reread your first post so waiting for you to supply a pump isn't an option especially at the time of my posting.

What did you do in the end as I believe they have taken the piddle regarding the water pump costs??

yippeekiay said:
£170 for the cambelt/fitting is a cracking price!!

£160 for the water pump/fitting is bollocks!!

I'm guessing they screwed up on the cambelt/fitting price and are trying to recoup the costs. I'd ask how much to fit a water pump supplied by yourself and depending what they say, tell them the labour cost should be minimal as the access for it is much easier while they have the cambelt off.

Sorry, just reread your first post so waiting for you to supply a pump isn't an option especially at the time of my posting.

What did you do in the end as I believe they have taken the piddle regarding the water pump costs??

Also crossed my mind about cocking up the original price and trying to make up the difference but who knows. Have spoke to the guy and reckons it's a pain as you have to remove the alternator, so the bulk of the cost is labour. To be fair he did day he would try and cut some cost off so will see, but going to ask for an itemized bill and for the labour cost to be broken down per job.

Not sure if the alternator needs taking off - I know there's a few write ups on here regarding fitting the waterpump with the cambelt either off or on so you could search and see if he's talking bollocks.

Either way, how hard or time consuming can it be??? They're mechanics after all and should be able to undo a couple of bolts in minutes not bloody hours going by the labour costs they want to charge...lol.

As you and I both suspect...I think it's a miscalculation in initial costs which they are trying to lessen by 'finding' costs another way and bumping them up!! I'm sorry to say it but I think there's a big chance that there's bugger all wrong with the pump anyway. :shock:

Back