Weird noise, gearbox broken?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiiHu

My Puma started to keep weird noise about 500km (300 miles) ago. It is kinda rattle like and/or crunching sound which can be best heard when you are driving 20-30km/h (~15mph). If you listen carefully and know what to listen, you can also hear it in 50-100km/h (30-60mph). Usually you have to drive couple of kilometres to hear the sound properly.

My gf noticed it and I couldn't examine it more than just for couple of hours at the last weekend. I thought that it was front wheel bearing (not sure if this is right word) and booked service to change it. As I couldn't take car to the service, my gf took it in and I had to explain over the phone to the mechanic what was wrong. They examined the car and found nothing wrong with the bearings etc which might cause this. They came to a conclusion that it was a faulty gearbox because they found out that gearbox was missing 1.5 litres of oil (total capacity is 2.8 litres if someone doesn't know) and because the gearbox is somewhere near the place from where the sound is coming from. Weird sound didn't change after adding the oil, although gears change somewhat better now (wonder why :roll:).

Today I finally was able to examine the car myself and I'm not sure that does the sound come from the gearbox. You can hear the sound also when the clutch is pressed and also when no gear is selected. If this would be faulty gearbox, wouldn't sound stop when pressing clutch and/or with no gear selected? Or am I just missing how gearboxes work?

Although when you press the clutch or take your foot off of it, sometimes on 1st and 2nd gear there is weird "slam" kinda / "clunk" sound coming from somewhere. I can't locate that from which part of the car it is coming, but it most likely is somewhere in front. I wasn't able to shoot it on the video. This slam sound sound sometimes can be heard too if you drive in to a small pothole etc. This sound came a week earlier than we found that weird crunching / rattle sound so it might be related?

I took one video of the sound and you can hear it best in parts 0:16 and 0:22-0:27. But the sound isn't always as in the video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQefCQzFMc[/youtube]

If anyone has any ideas what might be broken, I'm more than happy to hear them!

I forgot to mention that the sound changes more or less depending from speed etc. when you rotate the steering wheel while drivig.

Latest posts

Back