Welding?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

Hello,
im after some advice please, i have a ford puma 1.7, and have just been told that the driver side seal needs welding!? is this a common problem? how much would i be looking at as i dont want to be ripped off.

Thank you
Kelly

Hi Kelly, welcome to the gang.

Not sure what you mean by seal?? Also, who told you it needed doing?

Rob.

Hi Rob and Kelly
I think He/she means sills. The cost could be from less than £100 to a hell of a lot more, it depends on how much you want to keep your car. If you just want to get it through the MOT the sills can be cut out and new patches welded in but there will be work on the inner sills required as well. If you want to keep the car new sills are available from expressed panels but the work will run easily to over £200.
Barry

Having welded up mine a week ago, I can concur with this. Sill rot on these things is likely to be the tip of the iceberg, a small hole generally inplies that the whole area around it will be totally rotten and a wider area still, will be "manky" and not weldable. If it's bad on one side, it's normally only slightly better on the other. If it's in the early stages, you should catch it quickly and try to nip it in the bud. P.S. have a look under the carpet thingys in the rear, inner wheel arches, they tend to rust out above the flange and where the brake pipe holder is attached.

Back