Which Brakes?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma_Sam

Hi,

Im tracking my Puma that I recently bought.

I want to upgrade the brakes as suggested by many on here.

Please can someone give me some strong information as to which Disc's, Pads, Callipers, brake hoses and brake fluid I need to do so.

Please note - I do not want to be grinding callipers down.

if you could give me the exact details that would be to great peace of mind, rather than leaving something so important to interpretation.

Cheers

Puma_Sam said:
Please can someone give me some strong information as to which Disc's, Pads, Callipers, brake hoses and brake fluid I need to do so.

There's a very comprehensive brake upgrade section in this post right here

16" wheels are a good shout if you want the 300mm setup without any issues.

So,

Currently got the 258mm discs.

I want to upgrade to the fiesta ST 280mm ones.

Just a couple of questions regarding the OP.

there is a warning that the handling under breaking may be effected... How detrimental is this? I want to track the car so its kind of a big deal how it handles under braking.

Also it says that they ''Should fit under standard 15'' rims''... Do they?

On pretty much exactly this subject, I've got the ST150 setup and recently brought 4 puma prop alloys, am I right in saying they only fit these with a 3mm spacer but will fit the 9-spokes without a spacer? If thats the case is it worth selling the props and buying 9-spokes for bang-on ET? :?

Spot on about the propeller wheels.
The internal diameter of the wheel is large enough to clear the caliper no problem.
The problem is the wheel is not dished enough to allow the inside face of the wheel to clear the side of the caliper without fouling the anti rattle spring clip thing.
A 3mm spacer overcomes this problem bit is a bit crap in my opinion.
The 9 spokes, thunder (zetec s) and f2 spilt type rims all clear ok.
I discovered this as my car has a prop for a spare and wouldn't fit when I had a puncture... Bad time to find out :-(

fairlight said:
Spot on about the propeller wheels.
The internal diameter of the wheel is large enough to clear the caliper no problem.
The problem is the wheel is not dished enough to allow the inside face of the wheel to clear the side of the caliper without fouling the anti rattle spring clip thing.
A 3mm spacer overcomes this problem bit is a bit crap in my opinion.
The 9 spokes, thunder (zetec s) and f2 spilt type rims all clear ok.
I discovered this as my car has a prop for a spare and wouldn't fit when I had a puncture... Bad time to find out :-(

Cheers Mr fairlight.

No problem!

Had the st150 setup on my car for a year now, not once have I felt it is under braked. It gets driven pretty hard....
For me its the best road going set up if you want to keep 15" wheels.

May be a case of watching EBay for some or going to a breakers, or even find someone who's breaking one and see if the calipers are still available.

I've only found a couple on EBay after a quick search

So, think I have found a set at a dirt cheap price.

Emailed the guy to check they fit, his reply is as follows:

"It's off a 2007 car which is a mk6.5. Is it a mk5 fiesta you have? If so I'm pretty sure they fit without too much trouble a lot of ford parts cross over from model to model. They fit with 280 vented discs if that is any help"

So, my question to you lot is, will these be any good?

The calipers I got off eBay were from a 2007 st150. Go for it!

I used pagid discs and ebc ultimax pads as my misses mostly drives the puma. Didn't fancy putting anything other than OE type compound as she swaoa from puma to Octavia.
The brakes are excellent with this set up.

HTH

gaz

Cheers Gaz,
I have bought these MTEC 280 discs but cant stick them on until I get these callipers.

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE PUT THEM OVER THE EXISTING DISCS (AND BACKWARDS) JUST FOR ILLUSTARTION PURPOSES AND ALSO TO SEE IF THE HOLES WERE THE SAME SIZE.

image_zps2c2a7ee3.png

I recommend ST150 brakes, spot on for the weight of the car. 300mm are just for show IMO.

Yeah i like the idea of the st150 set up.

I didn't want to be modifying and grinding stuff down in order to accommodate for the 300mm as I didn't feel comfortable doing do.

Amen to that!

All this unsprung weight stuff has no relevance in the real world.

Handling has not changed to any degree that has spoilt the car.

Its nice to know you can haul it up sharply when needed and also have the feel of modern car at the pedal.

The brakes on the st150 were a stand out feature of the car in road tests of the time. Fitting them to the puma is a job ford should have done in the first place... :)

fairlight said:
Amen to that!

All this unsprung weight stuff has no relevance in the real world.

Handling has not changed to any degree that has spoilt the car.

Its nice to know you can haul it up sharply when needed and also have the feel of modern car at the pedal.

The brakes on the st150 were a stand out feature of the car in road tests of the time. Fitting them to the puma is a job ford should have done in the first place... :)

This one post alone makes all the effort worth it!

Latest posts

Back