Which Calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigpuma63

Hi all
Can anyone recommend a good website for cheap brake caliper ?
Just had my front bearing done at the garage and he said the caliper is not working properly its keeping the brake on like the last one which I replaced with a used one off ebay and now thats doing it .I have recently fitted new discs and pads (258mm) and now gonna get new calipers and wondered where is the best place !

It's not necessarily the caliper, or where you get them from... if you get a second hand one, it's a good idea to pull it apart and clean all the moving parts before you fit it

Caliper off just trying to remove the piston using air compressor if that doesn't work try grease gun then refit with new seal kit tomorrow !
Update ...I popped the piston out using compressed air and it looks fine seals like new so cleaned it all up popped it back on bled the brakes and its nearly solid on deffo dragging ! Took it for a drive and its grinding ! Will take it off again tomorrow and check for twisted hoses etc but I'm stumped ! Selby area if anyone wants to help :-(

Update : Bought new caliper will fit tomorrow ,fingers crossed !

Update ,again !
Got new caliper and fitted today tested whilst jacked up and works fine however took it for a drive and brakes are ok not brilliant but they never were however there's deffo a grinding noise so jacked it up again and wheel spins freely !
Can't be wheel bearings as just been done !
Could it be the new disc just bedding in ?

It will probably be fragments of rusted metal off the hub carrier which have fallen down and got stuck on the face of the abs sensor (as it's magnetic). This in turn rubs on the face of the abs ring which causes a horrible grating noise. I think you might have to take the discs and calipers off again to see it but if you look down at the abs sensor there's about a 1mm gap to the sensor ring. I just got some cardboard and wiped it over the face of the sensor to get most of the particles off then blasted the rest off with an airline.
Hope this helps.
Barry

Thanks looked at abs ring and its clean ! The noise is still there and really loud I,m stumped !
Thought it could be driveshaft but I,ve read you get steering judder and I,m not getting that !
Its definitely coming from the front right wheel area , brakes not sticking and had wheel bearing done so who knows ?

It's not the ABS ring but the sensor have you looked down on the sensor to make sure there's no debris on that that's rubbing on the sensor ring? If that's definitely clear I would suspect that it's otther debris thats fallen off the stub shaft assembly and catching on something else. The whole structure that is clamped to the bottom of the strut is prone to heavy rusting and when this is disturbed it can drop off in large or small chunks. This can get caught up in any moving parts such as the calipers so my advice to you is to take it to bits again shake everything and blow it with an air line. A bit back I fitted ST170 discs and calipers to mine and noticed that the stub axle assembly was starting to de-laminate through rust. I could see that that might cause future problems so I got a thin chisel and chipped off all the loose stuff before it could drop off and then used the airline to blow the rest of the crap away.
Hope that helps

Thanks
Today I,m going to put it on axle stands and run it in gear to have a listen then I'll take the disc and caliper off again and clean it all up as after I first did it there was slight noise for a day then it went then got gradually worse and I,m determined to get to the bottom of it !

Have you tried taking the pads out on that side, to see if it stops, whilst driving on axle stands? Obviously , don't press the brake pedal until you have put the pads back in :cool: , visually inspect in case a rust fragment has got bedded in the brake pads, also are there any fresh score marks on the disc?
If you still don't solve it, I know it involves a fair bit of work, but the next step is to remove the drive shaft from the center of the disc assembly. Spin the disc hub by hand and see if you can feel the grating. if you can, then push the the brake pads away from the disc and see if it stops. If it stops carefully inspect the pads as a metal part maybe slightly wrong and chafing. However there should be a corresponding shiny witness mark. Failing that, If the grating is still there and you've checked the ABS sensor and ABS ring. Then the only 2 places the grating can be coming from is the wheel bearing or around the area the hub fits into the assembly.

If everything is fine when the drive shaft has been removed, then perhaps the outer CV joint needs packing with CV grease, the inner CV on these cars are also known to fail, but usually the outer joint is the culprit. Because it hasn't enough grease in it due to having been replaced, and the amount of grease in the grease sachet, that's provided with the replacement boot isn't enough . You will have to undo the outer CV rubber boot clip and inspect. By the way,inspecting the outer CV joint and re packing the joint with CV grease can be carried out whilst the car is on stands and still attached to the Hub assembly. Make sure you clean all surrounding areas before undoing the CV rubber clip, to prevent grit /dirt getting into the CV joint,

Hi
Thanks I was thinking cv joint myself I will take off the cv boot and clean and re grease tomorrow I'll update when done !

Good advice from DOH but I would look for things that happened after you touched the brakes rather than stripping the CV joints. It's a filthy job with a potential of making mistakes such as getting dirt in or not torqueing the driveshaft nut up right.

Back