Which new shocks for lowering springs?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaHammer

Hi guys,

I have a set of 60/40 lowering springs, and want to get some shocks to do the whole job, for handling as well as looks.

What would you recommend please? I got the springs for an absolute bargain, so be good if the shocks were too lol

Cheers,

Steve.

You'll probably need to search for shorter versions, for those drops. Many people on here fit Eibach -30mm springs, which is thought to be the maximum, using standard length dampers, otherwise they are under a lot of compression, all of the time.

What yog says is bang on. standard shocks wont work properly below about 30mm

Bilstien Shoks are excellent adjustable jobbies and cost the bloody earth
G-max offer a much more affordable but basic shoocker suited to lower ride height.

But there`s more to it than that,
That low slightly alters the geometry of the front wheels and suspension.
Which can actually make handling worse.

My car runs pretty low (coilovers) but Ive been careful to not upset Ford`s very effective set up, too much.

trublustu said:
[post]351647[/post]

But there`s more to it than that,
That low slightly alters the geometry of the front wheels and suspension.
Which can actually make handling worse.

My car runs pretty low (coilovers) but Ive been careful to not upset Ford`s very effective set up, too much.

Interesting, which coilovers do you have and how low did you put them?
I go on H&R -20 lowering springs on original shoks. It's ok but could be better for sure. TA Technix coilovers were even worse.
A lot depends on the wheels too.

Well, cheers guys :)

I didn't think they would be too low. I know I would need shorter shocks, just wondered what ones.

I may look into buying a kit instead and sod the others off into the bin lol

Cheers,

Steve.

If one wants to go really low the only option is coilovers. Even shortened dampers aren't designed to be that low and will be out of their optimum operating range. I had -40mm springs and dampers and it drove like shit to be honest, now i've got it wound all the way down on AP coilies and it's so much better, even though it's a hard ride and not for those with a bad back (like me :lol:) it just handles better as it's less sloppy. The only let down is the cheap tyres but i'm not made of money!

Also it looks the mutt's nuts :grin:

@ TGPlayer: Glad to hear this, I just bought myself AP coilovers too, will be fitting them soon. I was hesitating between AP or Vogtland which are a bit more expensive but AP have a good reputation so..

Latest posts

Back