Why do some folk call the Puma a hairdressers car?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the Ka then Jacko?

:funny:

:pinkeye:

LoL my dad has had his mondeo since '99!

But generally the prognosis seemed good!

New mondeo seems to have fantastic write-ups and apparently has room for golf clubs = no. 1 priority for many people :p

Golf : A good walk spoilt - Mark Twain (Allegedly)

That's why I say 'allegedly'

It has been atributed to both - depends where you read.

Still can't stand golf though!

the ka..........

bugger iv forgotten; i think there was a good reason for doing it......

as a design exercise it was very good & successful; its ten years old & hasnt been changed..... think there heading for mini / beetle fame..... still looks as 'good' as it did 10 years ago, which in design speak is good...

same for a porsche 928; private plate & some new style wheels every ten years & that car will look 'new' for decades to come, its already a 30 year old design..... shame the interior dated.....

the puma is the same..... if they ever make a new style it will ruin the old one. the design is properly styled, better than any ferrari (how fast does a ferrari look old!!!!) & should look good for longer than the KA. not to mention its a 2+2; the designers must have fought hard for that one!!! it will always remain a 2+2 coupe....... a proper 'old school' (think old mg's) sports car; small, light(ish!), small revvy engine, fun to drive.......

people who think pumas are hairdressers cars would chose a page 3 girl over nicole kidman & would prefer a sub in the boot to a 'bang & olufsen' set up.....

Hang on... I've a (custom, not square box) sub in my boot.
Although it's there for quality not quantity
:eek:k:

jacko said:
i can tell you that a fiesta etc was DESIGNED for women to go shopping.... a second car etc for little jobs

ford realised that fast fiestas sell tho so thought theyd do a proper job for once & the design brief for a small sporty coupe was released on the designers.....

its fords only true sporty car

Just let me think

The Puma is a Fiesta, with different body panels and a tuned suspension.

So that's like having an RS Fiesta or an XR or an ST, as they are Fiestas with different panels and tuned suspensions. You can check out the part numbers on these if you like because as soon as you mention RS, XR or ST when you go to Mr Ford, the part numbers are quite often totally different.

The difference is, the Puma had more overtly changed body panels and had less room in them and smaller boots. They also sold in smaller numbers than some of Ford's other 'sporty' cars.

There were figures somewhere to show that in their heyday Ford sold more XR based fiestas than normal ones.

At the end of the day what does it matter anyway.

A VW Beetle is a poncy Golf that doesn't drive as well as the Golf.

A mondeo is also a Mazda

A Jaguar is also a Mondeo, etc etc

yes, the puma uses fiesta mk4 parts...... it uses the floorpan....... in essence it simply uses tried & tested suspension geometry & thats about it........ to save on development costs things like the dash were modded to fit & same with any ford...they use already available parts to keep costs down.....

so yes it is a fiesta in drag but im being very flexible in saying that cos really its fiesta geometry & not a lot more....... thats why its a proper job....

got nothing against fiestas but if they werent both ford..... & you were looking at a hatch back & a coupe..... would you say they were 'the same car'?!

just tarting up a fiesta isnt a proper 'design', its half arsed. its like saying you use the smaller 'batchelor' trolley when you go to tescos cos its lighter, more responsive & you get the shopping done faster!!!!

(ps - i do actually like fiestas, there a good car...& i do actually use the bachelor trolley!!!!!!!!)

I see your point with the idea of using the parts bin, but I think that if you are into the car scene, you would notice more styling cues from Fiestas than you care to think there are.

I may be going back to the stone age, but the XR3i cabriolet was also called a hairdresser's car at the time of it's popularity, but I know lots of blokes that own those.

On the other hand someone once asked me whay I had bought the XR2i instead of the XR4i( Sierra based) as that was a man's car. My response was that I didn't like them and bought the car that I did like.

So why worry about the image?

Tell them they can't knock what they haven't tried.

Didn't know you did product design Jacko, whereabouts did you study?
I did that + marketing, hence my intense cynicism of design and sales these days.
Especially 5 seater MPVs, I mean WTF??

Re: the new Mondeo, the biggest mistake was not renaming it from Mondeo.
Mondeo to me means:
Plummeting residuals
Mediocrity (nothing really stands out)
Company reps hammering up and down motorways
Poor performance
Good diesels but forgettable petrol engines
Hard plastic interiors

i studied at derby cos its local (but very crap!!! my lecturers were ex washing mashine, lawnmower & sink designers! & completely useless, unproffessional & lazy!) moved onto notts trent to do pgce design for teaching...( better but......same as loughborough....some very basic flaws allowed into final projects...)

best bit was i was asked to go to new designers in london & turned it down! (no point taking up space when i was going to be a teacher & someone else could have got a job out of it). lecturers hated me after that!

kids are more fun than staring at a pc screen moving a pipe or nut on a cad drawing but sometimes the quiet office life does sound good!!!!

jacko said:
...more fun than staring at a pc screen moving a pipe or nut on a cad drawing but sometimes the quiet office life does sound good!!!!
Exactly why Darren spends most of his working day on here. ;)

Oh you!

Gonna get a spank for that one!

Latest posts

Back