Budget Puma TURBO Project!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah mate, im up for that for sure, ive been waiting for a rolling rd day to come along!! Nice to talk to you, ive been about a few weeks now and havent seen you, but im glad we got a chance to have a chat, im liking the mat black puma, will be even better with a turbo lump in it :cool: !! Definately up for that strip, i wish id have known about it before! I like what you and your boys are doin for the modded car scene mate, we need to meet up and have a proper chat!! And get Matty out with the silver ZR, id like to see what my car is like against his! :D

thanks mate and ye will get atty out his normally out every week but he had food posioning from the pod yesterday lol if im right its £15 a car you get 3 runs and a print out plus all files will be put on a dongal for you as well but im sure you have to supple 1 and thanks the puma not stayin matt black well hand painted for long just long enough for me to get my fiesta body work done so that can come on road then it will be majour construction for the puma and yes deffo a turbo i am slowly getting the parts but i ay slap them on the 1.3 and put it in the fez lol. the puma i am aiming for about same as users but i know i wont get as much power outta mine lol.

No reason why you cant mate, ive got the map for the megajolt, and ive told you all the bits you need, just give us a bell if your stuck. You should be able to get it about the same, maybe quicker if you want to play around with new maps ect. But there were some suprised faces when i overtook cars im not supposed to overtake!! 1 guy refused to race, he said hes heard about my car! :-( Wanted to keep it a sleeper, but ive been found out now, so that new stripshould be good! Well try and get some footage mate!

well belive me the 1st time we went there i had about 100 cars behinde me and i thought shit where am i going i lost then i hered a mr2 fly past i thoought na carnt be then it let out a 6ft flame i was like yep i will follow him lol and change ur colour or summet and it looks standared if im honest and them lot will be shocked u should put side line bets on to get some of ur doloor back lol.

as for the convertion im deffo doing it but not as soon as i would of liked but is deffo getting done my aim is to have all 3 cars done for fast show 2011 which is march i know i woont have the money to go silly quick at 1st but in due time im hopin it will be as quick as urs. what intercooler would u say get for the 1.3 tubby lump and what compersstion plate or how many head gaskets i know u prob told me befor but for some reasons all my pms on her have vanished

Its cool, it all depends what power and boost you want to run in the 1.3, that will be a funny project!!! Id need to find out the cylinder dimensions and static compression ratio to know how thick to do the plate to get the required ratio, but im sure the info is on the net somewhere, and the intercooler also depends on what boost your going to be running. I found out today from that lad with the VXR engine in the Deawoo Lanos, that my intercooler is possibly from a vauxhall frontera! Thats a great intercooler, because its thin, but has a big surface area. He told me he ran a 13.2 1/4 mile today!!!! Thats F**KIN amazing!!

bloody hell and i am thinkin between 5 and 10 psi i think about 7 at the most tho and ye will be funny i nedd summet about 2.25inch as thats the same size as the in let

Well more then likely, youll need between 1mm and 2mm, it depends what the static compression ratio is, but if you want to be adventorous, you could lower it to 9.0:1, then you wont loose too much power, but will be safe enough for some boost, but just dont run anymore then 7 or 8 psi in it. Is in an iron block or Ali?
I know you though mate, youll get bored, and crank it up to 25psi, and blow it up!!

its iron mate and i wont crak it that high lol and how would i lower it that much

Ok, we will see!!! :lol:
Ill find out the sizes of the engine, and let you know mate, if you could find out the compression ratio, and what size the bores are, i can work it out for you.

the bore is 75.48 and the compresstion is 9:5:1

http://www.telegraph.com/motor/ford/Ford_Feiesta/Ford_feista_technical.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Around 50 horsepower?? Are you nuts, your crazy to do this man!!!! The max you will get is about 80-90bhp!! If its 9.5:1, id leave it at that mate, you can run 8 psi in a 10.3:1 engine, so it should be fine, but if you want to be safe, you could add a 1mm decomp plate, which would lower it to exactly 8.53:1, so pretty much 8.5:1.
The combustion chamber is 38.2cm3, so to get it from 9.5:1 down to 8.5/;1, you need to increase the combustion chamber to 43.3cm3. With a 1mm plate, youll increase it to 43.15cm3, so pretty much exactly what you need.
& a 0.5mm plate would give you 9.0:1 ratio.

i know its low bhp but will be a laff and its just till the puma one is done and im hopin it lasts long enough and to me 80/90 bhp out a 1.3 is sweet lol

Finally sorted out the missing piece of the puzzle today, my boost cut issue seems now to have been resolved!! For all those of you interested in forced induction, you CAN'T put the MAF sensor where i put mine, right next to the throttle body if you want to run more then 7psi! The boost creates too much heat, and so the sensor cant read the airflow, the colder it gets, the more air flow it thinks there is, but under boost, it thinks that above 7psi heat is less air flow, so cuts the fuelling!

This issue has plagued me for some time now, but it finally came to me this morning. The only other thing ive done is lower the fuel pressure to stop it from back firing when i shift, as the air from the BOV has been metered for, so possibly a re-circ valve would be a better idea.

Another issue now though is that my clutch cant take the torque of 10psi, it just about lasted before, but now it definately needs changing.

Ive always certain that the MAF was in wrong place as ive never seen a MAF put there before.
But with mine running low boost and really low air inlet temps i might try putting mine there first before i have to move it before the supercharger inlet. Decisions Decisions!

you have gone for the standard manifold aint ya on yours so is there not a sports one avalable that we could try and use :) for that extra lil bit

I heard that putting the MAF right next to the TB results in turbulence that interferes with the sensor reading, and a min of 8 inches separation between the MAF and TB is needed to prevent this. Would be interested to hear if this effect actually exists in practice, as putting it next to the TB seems to be a good place for it.

@ BlackKnight : yeah mate, I remember you saying about the MAF, but I needed to do something coz the BOV was making the engine run crappy,it wouldn't stay running without overfuelling. After a day, plugs were fouled, & lambda was sooted up, so it was the right move at the time, but a better move would have been to just change the dump valve!!

@ Clarkie : Ill get that list sorted mate, just need to go into the little bits so I don't forget anything important. Yeah, it's a STD exhaust mani, would be interesting to see what difference a tubular turbo manifold would be like, but there isn't an off the shelf item available, so it would have to be a custom job.

@ Evil Donut : I think the reason for that, is the vibration, as well as the heat from the engine will cause the sensor to give an incorrect reading,I've run my car like this for a good few months now & up to 7psi, it ran & fuelled great!!

My problem now is a clutch that can take the torque! I really don't think a 1.8 115bhp clutch will handle it, I know it's alot heavier car, but I just don't think it will handle it, and want to avoid paddle clutches, so what options do I have??

the fast road clutch i had might be enough altho i admit i didnt look intot what figures it could cope with to be honest.

think you might be looking more towards a kevlar clutch maybe.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PUMA-1-7-STAGE-1-FAST-ROAD-CLUTCH-KIT-/250680026436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats what i fitted to mine and its lasted 2 years of abuse so to me that was alot better than the 7-8 months the 400 paddle clutch lasted. i made an offer and got it for 140 posted but go lower as he accepted my offer immediately so who knows what you could get it for.

would the st170 clutch be any good. your not too far over that are you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-ST170-Clutch-Kit-BRAND-NEW-/280547837176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other options i can find are below. i dont know if im helping here but im just thinkin if i find the product you will go away and source the specs and see if they fit or not lol

mondeo st200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-ST-200-ST200-ORGANIC-FAST-ROAD-CLUTCH-KIT-/260598754390?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v6 cougar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-Cougar-2-5-V6-24v-ST-200-00-On-2-Part-Clutch-Kit-/200443681824?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rs turbo kevlar kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-RS-TURBO-GREENSPEED-STAGE-1-RACING-CLUTCH-KIT-/320531415897?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cosworth 2wd upto 350bhp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-SAPPHIRE-RS-COSWORTH-2WD-GREENSPEED-CARBON-CLUTCH-/390194982662?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cant see any others but there are no sizes or specs on most but some of that might help. lol

Cheers mate, that's actually very helpful, I emailed techniclutch a few months back,& they said that fast rd clutch kit won't be strong enough for my car, coz if it's turbocharged, it generally has alot more torque, and that clutch is only good up to 190ft/lbs I think. They said I'd need a paddle clutch. If the st170 clutch would fit, then that's what i'd go for, but I think it will be a 240mm clutch, & the biggest you can get in the puma box is 220mm. I did look at the old RS turbo clutches, but the spline is 1mm smaller then the puma box spline, so the pressure plate might fit, but the actual clutch plate won't fit. I'll look into the st170 clutch though, coz with my car being alot lighter then the focus, that clutch kit will be ideal! Thanks for the help Clarkie!

haha as if i actually might have helped out! :p you might actually teach me a load during this project dude but you do know im gonna be atappin you for help all the time when it all begins lmao

ah and let me know when your gettin pipes made up as we will prob get a cheaper price together as a group buy :)

Back