Changing top gearbox mount

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdonger

A question directed to you guys who have dropped your gearboxes.

To change the top gearbox mount in the engine bay do you need to drop the gearbox and and the driveshaft or can you just use a jack to hold the gearbox and then replace the gearbox mount without dropping the gearbox?

Just done mine and only noticed as I was trying to bolt everything back up that the new mount has plain holes not tapped ones! Nothing a couple of nylocks won't fix but thought I would share it.

highly recommend getting a 13mm flexible ratchet spanner before you attempt it... (a good quality one)..

You'll see why when you get stuck in.. :grin:

Don't buy a sealey one..mine failed on first use..lol the halfords pro range or similar are fine..

Rgds

Chris

the mounts do have plain holes ???

the threaded bar screws into the box and a nut goes on the other side, this is how it is as standard

yep, i think your referring to the nuts that hold the gearbox up steve?... (the ones that screw down onto the M10 studs)

if your removing the gearbox mount completly it's bolted to the chassis at the side of that area and the bolts (one in particular) are proper awkward to get to...

when you do a clutch you wouldn't remove it as it flexes a lot... and the studs pass through the holes you mention... :grin:

:grin:

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the rubbered part of the mount. I only bought the bit that I needed not the bracket as well.

Not a very clear pic, but thats from my old car. The top mount comes in two parts, the big bracket that bolts onto the top of the box via the studs and the rubber bit that bolts onto the side of the bay with 4 bolts. The two parts are joined with 2 bolts that let the bracket hang on the crossbar through the rubber (conveniently hidden by the battery terminal in the pic) on my original the holes in the bar were tapped, on the new bit they weren't.
Its either P/N F1034994 or F1096420, one is the top mount the other is the rear stabiliser Ford describe one as housing and the other as housing-trans.

Back