Company car dilema

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeager2004

Hi

I’ve got a dilemma over ordering a new company car, which I need to do in the next couple of weeks. The company car policy here has changed such that we have to go through a single leasing company (we used to be able to shop around Leaseplan, Appleyards, Lloyds etc in order to get the best deal)

Some of the lease costs of what have been ‘in-band’ in previous years now look expensive. So making the best of what I can choose I’ve narrowed it down between:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM 8 valve Turismo Sport sportswagon or BMW 1.8 petrol M-Sport tourer

The Alfa is slower 0-60 (10.9 seconds against the Beemer’s 9.5)
MPG is better on the Alfa (combined 53 MPG against 45 MPG). In real world not sure how realistic either of these are.
The Beemer comes with lots of extras including sports seats, cruise control, parking sensor, lowered suspension, roof rails etc

Taking into account the leasecost and tax liability (ie benefit in kind), the two are within £15 of each other over the year.

I’ve test driven a 159 and loved it. It was a higher spec 2.0 model though, so obviously quicker and much higher spec than the 8v turismo sport.

Have driven the Beemer too and it's a fine car too - just a bit dull compared to the Alfa.

In terms of looks inside and out there’s no contest, the Alfa wins hands down and if the 2.0 JTDM was an option I think it would be a no-brainer.

I haven’t unfortunately been able to find dealer with the 1.9 8 valve engine, so am a bit worried it will feel slow and gutless. Also haven't looked at a turismo spec, so wonder how basic that will be.

We go up to Scotland quite frequently from Berkshire and I do quite a lot of motorway driving for work, so however beautiful the Alfa looks it’s going to be frustrating if the performance lets it down.

What are anyone’s thoughts on which I should choose?

Thanks guys!

Alfa is gorgeous, but the Beemer is probably the better bet. Also BMW dealers (who you hopefully won't have to deal with that often...) are probably better.

BMW economy is probably more easily achieveable.

I took a 118d around the Nurburgring last year, as well as driving around 400 miles around Germany, and thought it was a great car. Also rented a 159 in Germany shortly after they first came out and was very impressed with it, though there were aspects of the interior that weren't finished to a BMW level, also it seemed to be a bit high, as in there was too much room in the arches.

Biggest consideration should be space. The 159 is pretty roomy, the 118 isn't.

Either way, both nice cars.

I'd go for the Alfa certainly, largely because it says you have some passion and flair, whereas the BM merely says you believe the ads that tell you its the ultimate driving machine or somesuch garbage.

Are there any other choices, or is that really it?

I'd go for the Alfa, for exactly the same reasons Rob gave above.

Sorry, is it a 118d or a 318d? You just say a 1.8d?

Are you sure you want the M-Sport version? Couldn't you have a 1/320d SE?

If you haven't got to worry about the Alfa breaking down with electrical problems (with it being a company car - hence you not paying for it) then get that.

:eek:k:

Thanks for your replies.

It's the 3-series 1.8 petrol BMW I am considering. I could go for the SE trim but though the M-Sport might be preferable over the SE since it has a few better seats, sports suspension and a few other niceties.

My main concern over the Alfa is its lack of power. It’s only 120 BHP, which for a relatively large car might make if feel under-powered. When we go up to Skye it’s good to have a bit of power when overtaking all those convoys of caravans and tourists doing 30 mph through Glencoe!

The car scheme includes most makes. I don’t really fancy a Passat, Insignia, Mondeo etc. Some marques such as Audi seem very expensive; the A4 although slightly cheaper than the BMW would require me to contribute £25 a month to trade up a band where as the BMW give me an out-payment of £20 a month.

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers

Ade

But the Alfa is a diesel yea?

£160 will get you a +25 bhp magic box that clips in in less than five minutes and can be just as quickly removed without trace at servicing time (Or after a shunt)

Not that I'd suggest it of course.

But it has transformed the Jagdeo, a bigger car than the Alfa and with just 130 bhp from the factory.

My mum has a 3 series M sport convertible thing, it's the 2.0 diesel and isn't half bad. Looks pretty good and she uses it all week for monstrous drive up and down the country. She compared it to an A5 when buying and there was not much contest.

But then the 159 does look good!

Considering the hassle of the Alfa if they are really as unreliable as people say then only get it if you LOVE it!

If you are unsure I would say BMW is a better bet simply for that reason!

Hmmm 'Reliable' or 'Stylish' ?

I know which I'd prefer. I'll think about reliable when I'm older and more ready for my slippers and pipe

Scirocco looks great, but the car has to be practial enough to cart around kids, bikes and sailing & windsuring stuff - hence the estate.

I've been reading around and the consensus is the eco 120 bhp Alfa is seriously under-powered. Angel Tuning can re-map it to about 150 mhp, but over £300.

Even wondering now if Mazda 626 2.2 Sport diesel might be worth a look.

The Mazda 6 is fast and looks like a Lexus. I had a Sinum with 120bhp and once the engine lossened up after 15-29k it was more than fast enough to ocertake amnd I covered Scotland and Cumbria so plenty of hilss etc. You did have t drop from 6th but it only very occasionaly made me want more power.

The Beemer will be dead slow and the m sport on a 318 makes it really obviously a company car. Neither of these cars has a decent boot though.

Passat 170 CR TDI? Fast, stylish and high 40s mpg. Insignia SRI CRDTI either engine will be fast enough, dials change colour in sport mode and the estate looks like an A6. More toys and very comfy too!

Out of the two you have cited definitely the Alfa.

Octavia on your list? TDI Vrs is stonkingly fast and cheaper so you could tick the extras - xenon, sat nav etc.

Good luck.

Back