Electrical hum when lights on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a very noticeable hum when I put the headlights on, on any beam setting.
There even seems to be a bit of a whir thats rises and lowers with acceleration and deceleration.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Headlamp levelling motor maybe? theres a wheel switch for this to the left of your steering wheel

Sounds like the motor in one or both may be stuck....

if changing the level doesn't work go outside with the lights on and listen (get close) to each headlamp to see which one is stuck. you may also be able to see it by parking up to a wall with the lights on and move the adjuster near the steering wheel from the bottom to top position. you may only see one move so the other is stuck...

if this is the case there is a guide round here some where on how to un-stick one (i think its quite fiddly, never done it myself) i will see if i can find it a post you a link...

musicformybumhole said:
There is a very noticeable hum when I put the headlights on, on any beam setting.
There even seems to be a bit of a whir thats rises and lowers with acceleration and deceleration.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Headlights draw a lot of current and coupled with the rise and fall side this sounds indicative of an amp/radio equipment that needs a better earth connection.

You can test this by removing the relevant fuses, but do make sure that you know your radio code first, as it will need to be re-entered afterwards..

So I got home and tested my headlamps, and right enough they don't seem to be moving. I will test in the dark later on to be sure. However, I am in the middle of trying to fit a new stereo (though having bother finding a way to connect the rail adapter if anyone can help) and with the stereo removed it does go down a lot, it is still there, but definitely quieter.
So perhaps you're both right?

So got out this morning to test the headlight motors. Drivers side is definitely stuck, it is constantly whirring. There doesnt seem to be any life out of the passenger side at all, no motor noise when the adjuster is moved. Could is be to do with the drivers side being jammed, or would it move anyway? If not I'm thinking I can un-stick the drivers side but the passenger side may need replacing.

Latest posts

Back