Fast "tapping" noise.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kizza said:
oh and if it is the big end bearing it will get louder and louder then it will just fail and your looking at a new engine. the worst thing about the puma engine is its a "throw away engine" as of what i was told by a ford mechanic. when the bearing go they elongate the conrod and cap to make it oval, then you need new conrod and big end bearings and you cant buy a set of bearing for the puma (although you can get some mitsubishi bearing to fit with a little modification) the price of rebuilding the bottom end of the engine is 2-3 times the price of a replacement engine.

ive looked into it very deeply when mine went, i would just get another engine if i was you i picked a 55k engine for £200.

cheers kieran

Took mine to TLC Ford in Coseley in June for an engine swap after my bottom end bearings went. £450 for an 85k engine supply and fit.

Before you strip or look for a new engine , I would recommend temporarily removing the Auxiliary belt. Check the bearing on the Aux belt idler pulley , these often wear out and can cause that noise .The noise you refer to maybe also be clicking from inside the power steering pump as it has fins that rotate .If you have dirt or a fragment of rubber hose, it can make that noise. Once the belt is off you can rule out that being a possibility. I had that noise on mine which I cured by flushing out all the power steering fluid and cleaned out the power steering reservoir bottle which has a fine gauze inside it. I flushed that out with petrol.

Iv'e got a fast ticking noise coming through on my puma now...can't really hear untill i'm on the motorway doing around 4k RPM, then it just gets a bit annoying.... :x :x

Iv'e basically got a whole new accessory drive apart from power steering ...incl. water pump, altenator etc etc..so just a little bit fooked off with it! new rack was fitted earlier in the year too so, the PAS fluid has all be renewed..

:evil:

Just a thought , 4000 rpm on the motorway could be a loose exhaust bracket or a loose resonator inside an exhaust box.

AdamD said:
Hi there,

My car developed as i can only describe as a fast "tap/knock" noise. Can't really hear it much from outside the car but its very loud when sitting inside it. Seems to be coming from the engine somewhere.

When i start the engine, its 95% always there, if i rev ever so slightly, the sound gets faster then goes. It clears when driving normal. After a while of driving it can come back and mostly stay there no matter what speed/revs are.

Quite worried. Can't help feeling like something is vibrating, like a cam maybe, or an engine mount? Anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for?

Noise has actually developed over about 6 months now and its been at its worst for about 2 months.
Sounds similar to what mine has been doing for the past week, however mine seems to be coming from the gearbox, so I need to check my levels (>Consider the gearbox history<) when i get a chance over chrimbo, and possibly add some treacle to it.

Back