FRP 591, FRP replica, plus turbo conversion project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK thanks Sam. I think the 1.7 shares the same mains as the 1.6. Are the big ends the same width as standard?

No, i didn't make a project thread, i wanted to make sure it worked and fine tune before i put any posts up! I will take pictures tho and put them up. Its quite a bodge compared to yours but it still works.
A quick description of how i done it; I removed the air con, made up a bracket out of 2"x1" alu, to fit a M45 from a merc 230clk, modified the supercharger manifold and swapped pulley for a 55mm mini one (that works out at 7psi). Swapped the 1.7 oil filter for a 1.4 one (its shorter for clearance between the charger and block), removed the fan!, surprisingly it doesn't ever overheat, moved radiator 4" forward, took front grill out and put intercooler and pipe work there. Used a 25mm re-circulating dump valve as a by pass for when its not on boost. I used an innovate AFR wide-band to keep an eye on fueling and its OKish, runs lean if you floor it before 4000rpm but its fine if you feed the throttle on, and after 4000 it runs 11.7:1 which is ok. That was 217.3bhp. Then i put 35bhp of nos through it, ran it lean and melted pistons. oops.

So got a new engine, stripped it, machined a counter-bore in the piston crowns 60mm x 1.6mm that lowered the comp ratio to 9:3. I machined under piston oil holes into the part of the block that hold the mains, in between the cylinders, to keep the pistons cool. Used a 1.6 focus pulley (132mm instead of 120mm). Keyed the crank and pulleys.
That is 11psi. It does lean out at 6500rpm to 12.2:1 so i think that could be Injectors/fuel pump maxed out.
Not yet been dyno'd but i can get 140mph (rev limiter in 5th) in .7 of a mile.

Going to sort the rattle out now and think about omex 600 or maybe 710 with injectors and fuel pump in future.
When i take i to bits ill take some pics and post them.

That sounds awesome, What a cool project, I love things like this, as far as I know the bearings are identical dimensions, In regards to injectors the puma one do max out quite quickly, apparently Nissan skyline injectors fit and flow more if that's any help?

Skyline injectors will fit, but they are low impedance, so depending on ECU choice, might need inline resistors, and they can be more awkward to get to idle well. There are a set of Subaru injectors that will fit and are high impedance, but I can't remember which ones now.

With regards to the big ends, they are similar, & can be made to fit, but are definitely NOT the same. I can't remember what the difference is, it was a few years ago that I built mine, but the 1.6 big ends were different.

That SC project sounds amazing, I'll look forward to some pics on that, might be worth fitting a rising rate fuel pressure reg to sort the fuelling out a bit, but mine is the same after about 5k rpm,,it leans out. Mine is 230 @ 12psi, but you have a 4-2-1 no doubt so you are probably close on 260-270! In a lighter car.

I thought the question was whether the hd bearings were the same dimension as standard, think I read that wrong lol, gets me thinking what a twin charged puma would be like.... I've got a happy in my pants

Yeah that was the question. The mains are the same but the big ends are different. Its the diameter. The reason i asked about the hd big end shell dimensions is that i think they could be slightly wider to spread the force more. But they must be different material.

Yeah it does have a 4-2-1 on it. As for the power it definatly is faster than it was at 7 psi (217bhp) a would hope to be around 240+ now. i've stopped using the nitrous as well so hopefully it will last this time.

I also thought about twin charging, I started to make a manifold, but would def need rods, pistons, injectors, ecu £££'s, etc then.

Yeah that was the question. The mains are the same but the big ends are different. Its the diameter. The reason i asked about the hd big end shell dimensions is that i think they could be slightly wider to spread the force more. But they must be different material.

Yeah it does have a 4-2-1 on it. As for the power it definatly is faster than it was at 7 psi (217bhp) a would hope to be around 240+ now. i've stopped using the nitrous as well so hopefully it will last this time.

I also thought about twin charging, I started to make a manifold, but would def need rods, pistons, injectors, ecu £££'s, etc then.

I was thinking that, I'm worried about my internals and gearox at 230bhp, a twin charge set up would only be worth the hassle for anything less then 300 or more, and I'd have thought the std internals wouldnt last at that power level. And unless somebody can get good quality internals for the 1.7 for a really good price, it doesn't seem worth it, my whole 2.0 duratec engine, & forged internals cost me less then what the puma rods and pistons cost. Last time I checked, it was £1600 for forged rods and pistons for the 1.7. The forged internals for mine were £700 from US including ARP rod bolts Big ends and mains were £60 each, ARP head and mains & flywheel bolts were about £150 from US, so just under a grand for internals. And you can pick up the engine for around £400, and in my opinion it's a lot better base. There are soooo much more off the shelf upgrades for the duratec.

But then some people don't look at it the same, some just want to see what they can do with the 1.7, and don't really look at the cost, so all depends on your prospective.

When I first decided to do my engine upgrade, I was dead set on doing a 2.3 duratec, but when I started looking in to it around 2 years ago second hand engines were around £1500, so I thought it would work out the same price as converting a 1.7, now however your right duratecs have dropped in price and now the prices for each conversion are simlar, pec and wossner now list turbo pistons and rods for the 1.7 @ around £900 with arp rod bolts and hd big end bearings, that's what il be going for, plus at the time I thought it would be easier to stick with a 1.7 because the hassle of building the engine mounts and getting the gearbox to fit would be new territory, however now there are people that offer the kits to fit it, if I were starting again right now I'd prob go duratec simply because of the ability to get off the shelf parts, Although that said i am growing fonder of my project as it really will be a one off :)

The thing about the 1.7, is that if you go outside of europe, nobody has heard of it. when it was built, it had the most power to weight of any zetec engine, and has a great power curve. Its something different, because although a few people have done projects with the 1.7, theres still loads to discover. With the duratec, no matter what i do with it, the chances are that its already been done somewhere in the world! The 1.7 is awesome, and if i thought i could reliably tune it to the power i want, for a decent price, i would have stuck with it. Im glad i chose the duratec, but i can see why a lot of people choose to stick with the 1.7.

Did I read on another thread that you had a wiring diagram to use an emerald ecu and the standard ecu in order to keep the dials and immobiliser working? If so is there any chance I could get a copy?

No, i dont have a diagram as such, but can help you out with the wiring if you want to run dual ecu.

PM sent!

sorry no updates for a while, got some new bits i will get pics up of in the next week, new parts ive got are new ford inlet valve stem seals (i already got the exhaust valve stem seals in december) all new gearbox gaskets and diff bearings for when i rebuild by frp box with quaife diff (still need to get the diff) also got a full set of custom made EN24 steel inlet/exhaust valves (awaiting delivery of these from lightning motorsport) and i also recieved my stainless steel baffle for my sump, im really pleased with this its a well engineered bit of kit, it also came with a modified sump pick up pipe, anyway here are some pics, enjoy

3f810d5f.jpg

303d3d2e.jpg

704f80b6.jpg

bb14e55f.jpg

got my new EN24 steel valves from lightning motorsport, i test fitted them in my head and they fit like a glove, il probably order up a full set of HD valve springs soon then il have fun lapping in all those hardened steel valves :( lol

41da5afc.jpg

a09849b4.jpg

Latest posts

Back