FRP 591, FRP replica, plus turbo conversion project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That baffled sump looks awesome, should help you out with any oil surge issues! Why do you need HD valve springs, are you going 11mm lift or more with your cams? Looks like your doing a proper job with the build, I bet it's costing a pretty penny, what sort of power are you looking for?

Il be running shawspeed sst2 cams, there not particularly high lift but I was advised that with my setup it would be beneficial, in terms of bhp, I'm looking at around 275-300 bhp, and yes the project has cost more than I originally planned but the more research I did the more I wanted it to be bomb proof so I'm investing in the right parts to give it longevity

Better to be over speced then under speced!! I find when doing a project like this, you read all sorts, and its hard to sift through and find the useful info.

My project is working out the same, i thought i could do the transplant and everything for around £1500!! :lol: Then i got carried away, and thought "if im doing it, i might aswell do it properly", and the forged internals, arp bolts, aeroquip fittings, and other pricey trinkets started arriving!! Its like an addiction! I used to look at projects like this, and think "how can they spend so much on a project", then i find myself in the same boat, and suddenly that garrett turbo doesnt look so expensive!!

Those figures look ambitious, but the way your going looks like the engine will be able to take it, just make sure the cooling system and gearbox are up to scratch, you might need to upgrade to an mtx75 box, and youll have to see how the driveshafts hold up. That GT28R turbo you have should easily see you way past 300bhp on the 1.7, and spool up pretty damn quick too. Im looking forward to a dyno printout when this engine is built. What will you be using it for?

As for the cooling system il be running an airtec fiesta rst rad, I have a new FRP gearbox that will have a quiafe LSD in it, I am worried about the drive shafts but il see how they go if they break il get some tougher ones, if the gearbox fails I might save up and put a quaife gear set in it rather than MTX75, although an MTX75 might be the wY to go further down the line, i dont really know till i start running it, as for what am I gonna use it for, the answer would prob be 'intimidating much faster cars' lol, seriously though it will mainly be a road car with the odd trackday

That's the best use for it "intimidating faster cars"!!! The hate you get from Subaru and evo owners is unbelievable, although your car looks the part now, so people will be expecting it, my green puma looked pretty standard, and because of where the turbo is located, it looks pretty standard in the bay, so people couldn't believe it was so quick!! Quaife gear sets cost a fortune, but might be better, that way you won't need to change gear linkages, or cut into chassis legs. Driveshafts are my worry, but if I have to get custom made ones, I'll use the mtx box, it will take the power a lot better then the IB5.

Yeah I totaly agree with you, il just have to see how my FRP Box and driveshafts last, when I get it mapped il run it with lower boost in 1st and 2nd gear, to reduce the torque strain on those components, also il be using a emerald ecu so il use a triple map, for daily use il prob run around 200bhp and il have max power on another map and something in-between too

d170sam said:
As for the cooling system il be running an airtec fiesta rst rad, I have a new FRP gearbox that will have a quiafe LSD in it, I am worried about the drive shafts but il see how they go if they break il get some tougher ones, if the gearbox fails I might save up and put a quaife gear set in it rather than MTX75, although an MTX75 might be the wY to go further down the line, i dont really know till i start running it, as for what am I gonna use it for, the answer would prob be 'intimidating much faster cars' lol, seriously though it will mainly be a road car with the odd trackday

You will not need anything more than quaife gearing as they are mega strong. Saves all the hassle trying to adapt for different box.

Cheers.

Ally

PumaNoob said:
"intimidating faster cars"!!! The hate you get from Subaru and evo owners is unbelievable.

This is what a wolf in sheep clothing is all about! I used to have a very quick mk4 fiesta and you would just toy with Scooby's and yes they can't take it. Expect V signs on a daily basis. These are the type of people that buy a 'quick' car just to have the power on tap and want to intimidate/bully smaller cars and other road users. Again the type of people that spend about £1500 on a Scooby don't maintain it, kick it's cun7 in then sell it when you overtake them. Those are the best ones.........

Have fun when the time comes.

Cheers

Ally

You couldn't be more right, I've had people leave Santa pod because I beat them, I've had subarus try and bully me off the rd, and i know a lad who actually sold his million horsepower Ibiza 1.8 turbo because his weren't the fastest car on the rd!! But on the flip side, I have had a load of positive feedback, people congratulating me and asking what the he'll I've done to it. I've met some really cool people just through racing & what I've done with my car. Just looking at some of the videos people have posted up, some of the track prapared pumas without much modification on here are astonishing, on paper they shoud be at the back of the pack, but they seem to be nudging the big boys out the way and always seem to be contenders.

I know people call it a hairdressers car, and I can understand why, but I'm just addicted to them, especially the Frp, it looks so aggresive in person, I don't think I'll ever sell it!!

i totaly agree with all the comments, cant wait to get it finished but im sure the long time its taken to get this far and the distance i still have to go will make it all the more worth it when its done!

not much of an update this month, got an expensive month at the mo, got 2 stag weekends, the missus's birthday and my mountainbike is broken and needs fixing :( anyway got a magnetic sump plug and an inline fuel tap, the tap is so i can shut off the fuel line when changing the fuel filter to make it less messy also its an added security feature!

6bc739b7.jpg

got some new wheels for my car! i think these might be a first on a puma! they are Rota subzero's in a 18"x7.5" with an offset of 45, they are the same stud pattern as the puma and according to the main UK Rota dealer they are very rare in ford fitment (for those of you not familiar with Rota they make lightweight wheels mainly for japanese cars, these wheels weigh 7.7kg each! they are super light!!) anyway with an offset of 45 there is no way they would fit a normal puma let alone a (replica) FRP so im having some custom spacers made that bolt to the hub and have new studs pressed in to them, the fronts are gonna have 25mm spacers (each side) and the rears are gonna have 30mm spacers plus i also got some 30mm 'press car' spacers custom made too, this will effectively make the front wheels poke out 6mm and the rears poke out 8mm than the current wheels, whilst i got the wheels brand new for an absolute bargain i didnt like the colour (gloss silver spokes with a polished lip) so i have had them powder coated in satin black...

746bb54e.jpg

4009b026.jpg

Wheels look awesome, never seen Rotas on a ford, let alone on a puma, I considered getting hub adapters so I could fit a set to mine. Awesome looking wheels!! The spacers are the same as mine, I have 30mm on the rears & 25 on the front. Didn't need to extend the rear studs because I have the ones that bolt to the hub, then you bolt the wheels to them. They are quite heavy though, so I went for extended studs in the fronts with a hubcentric alloy spacer. They work out quite expensive though because you need to replace both front bearings too.

mmmmm Rota's... deffo a first with those rota's on a puma but no tthe first to fit rota's! there so hard to find in 4x108 fitment and even when you do find a set there almost impossible to get hold of!

i tried to get some rota slipstreams for mine but they were so expensive just because the 4x108 isnt a popular fitment it bumps the price of the wheels up

Thanks guys, yeah rota's in ford fitment are super rare, and expensive good job I got them at a ridiculously low price, I got around a 75% discount, and they were brand new, I picked them up from rota's uk hq so I know they are not dodgy :)

little update for you all, got my custom made billet alluminium spacers, im going to be running 25mm spacers on the front (effectively making the front wheel offset et20, and 30mm spacers on the rear (et15) plus the 30mm press car spacers, this will result in the front wheels poking out an extra 8mm and the rears 6mm over the setup i have now

63a8899a.jpg

01c66047.jpg

fe910853.jpg

test fitted with spacer

b0300815.jpg

240d483c.jpg

thought id tr out a 225-40-18 tyre on it, it was a bit 'baloony' on the rim but i tryed it on the car, bottom line, it looks pants, and there are majour clearance issues on the front, so back to the drawing board, ive been on the web site 'will they fit' and tryed out different tyre sizes on my rims, and have decided that 215-35-18 tyres will be much better, a squarer profile and rolling radius will only be 2mm more that my current FRP wheels and tyres, so back to the tyre shop next week to get the right tyres!

here is a pic with the 225-40-18 tyre on the front (not a great pic, sorry)

93c95fe6.jpg

Latest posts

Back